Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

ASUS UL30A/A-A2 Graphics card compatibility

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Frubert

Frubert

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:40 PM

Posted 02 May 2012 - 02:43 AM

Recently the screen for my ASUS UL30A-A2 laptop broke (cracked glass). Figuring it would be an easy replacement, I ordered a new screen and tried installing it myself. When I booted it up, there was weird buzzing sound coming from the bottom of the screen. It wasn't too loud however so I just decided to ignore it. Fast forward a few days and suddenly, the screen's light went out. The display was still coming through, but the LED backlights weren't getting any power. So I went back to the screen's specs and, lo and behold, it turns out I got the wrong screen - for the UL30, UL30A, and UL30AT models, but not my UL30A-A2.

I tried reinstalling the old screen, but the lights aren't coming to that one either. So it seems there must be a problem with some other hardware (I'm guessing the graphics card). My guess is that there was a compatibility issue between my laptop (the 30A-A2's) graphics card and the new screen (30A) which caused the graphics card to die.

So, a couple of questions:
1. Do my (mostly uneducated) guesses sound right?
2. Any chance I could just buy the corresponding graphics card for the new screen and have it work with the rest of my hardware? Is there any way I could go about finding this out without having to make the purchase first?

Infinite thanks to whomever can help me out.

EDIT: I'm doing some more research and I'm starting to get the sense that it's not the graphics card that's damaged (since both models run on the Intel GMA X4500HD). Bear with me, I'm not so well-versed in hardware. Would it be the motherboard that's damaged? In that case, would replacing it not be worth my trouble?

Edited by Frubert, 02 May 2012 - 03:03 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:40 PM

Posted 02 May 2012 - 05:20 PM

Hi, It looks like you have a LCD screen.

With a LCD screen there is a flat ribbon that plugs in near the top of the screen as well as two wires that plug into the Inverter.

A LED screen would have a flat ribbon that plugs in near the bottom of the screen.

You have most likely damaged the Inverter with the wrong screen. The inverter is usually below the screen and has a connection at one end and the screen has two wires that plug into it.

The inverter is what powers the backlight. If there is a mismatch either one or both can be damaged.

Replace the inverter and the proper screen and you should be good to go. as a simple test shining a bright light into the screen that has lost its backlight will show a faint image.

Good Luck
Roger

Edited by rotor123, 02 May 2012 - 05:25 PM.

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#3 Frubert

Frubert
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2012 - 05:44 PM

Correct me if I'm wrong but I thought LCD displays can have different systems for backlighting. The specs for both say they're backlit by LEDs.
http://reviews.cnet.com/laptops/asus-ul30a-a2-core/4507-3121_7-33873706.html?tag=mncol;subnav
http://www.amazon.com/UL30A-LAPTOP-SCREEN-SUBSTITUTE-REPLACEMENT/dp/B003YBPKHU

#4 Frubert

Frubert
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2012 - 06:05 PM

Sorry, I missed your edit when I submitted my last post. Thanks for your response. I can see the faint image with the bright light test that you mentioned, so no problems there.

The inverter is the silicon board attached to the bottom of the screen, right? If so, I don't think it's a problem with the inverter. The new screen came along with a new inverter. The only problem with my old screen used to be a crack - the backlight worked fine. The backlight died when I had the new screen with the new inverter. Now when I plug the old screen in (with the old inverter), the backlight doesn't come on for it either. If the problem was with the new inverter, then the old one should still work with the old screen.

Edited by Frubert, 02 May 2012 - 06:06 PM.

#5 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:40 PM

Posted 03 May 2012 - 09:38 AM

It does look like it has a LED LCD. Does the flat ribbon connect near the top of the screen or near the bottom of the screen?

LEDs the electronics are at the bottom of the screen where the cable connects and run more or less side to side. LCDs the electronics are across the top of the screen and the cable connects there.

Could you still be under warranty? It appears that you may have damaged the part of the motherboard that supplies power to the LEDs or else during the screen replacement the cable got damaged. Those wires are delicate and usually secured to the back of the screen with double sided tape under the wire and regular type tape over where the flat ribbon plugs into the socket.

Unfortunately the only way to test the cable easily is by replacing it.

When I look up a replacement screen for your model I get ambiguous results. some say with inverter attached and some say LED an some say inverter not attached.

Good Luck
Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#6 Binoo

Binoo

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2013 - 02:23 PM

Hello Frubert and others,

I have exactly the same problem with UL30A.
Did you find a solution to your problem?

Regards

Binoo

#7 Binoo

Binoo

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2013 - 01:58 PM

Dear all,

Any ideas about this problem? Does it look like an inverter problem?

Regards

Binoo

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users