Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Bandwith problem

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Crashoveride420

Crashoveride420

• Members
  • 99 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:11 AM

Posted 01 May 2012 - 07:33 PM

Hello my bleeping friends. i hope this is where this goes, as i am a little confused on where to put it. A couple of weeks ago i was at my sisters downloading a movie (I know...shame shame), anyway everything is going fine, im getting 1.1 to 1.6 mbps. Went back a couple of days and nothing. I noticed that when her boyfriends ps3 is signed on my download and internet is slower than a snail. I tried bitlord and it did fine, but like utorrent it also quit while he is signed on. What would cause this and is there a way around it. I believe that he somehow throttled the banwith from the computer to the ps3, and i dont have access to there router. How he did this idk, he is a toy short of a happymeal when it comes to this stuff. Any insight would be greatly appreciated. Thanks Bleeping friends.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 BlackSpyder

BlackSpyder

Bleeping Big Rig

• BC Advisor
  • 2,456 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:11 AM

Posted 01 May 2012 - 09:12 PM

Without router access resetting the router priorities is impossible.

Posted Image

#3 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,123 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2012 - 10:13 PM

Edited: After review from moderators it was determined the Op was only asking for help with general router issues.

Edited by Sneakycyber, 02 May 2012 - 02:35 AM.

Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#4 Crashoveride420

Crashoveride420
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 99 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2012 - 10:21 PM

lol how is it wrong...i just want to know if i can throttle the bandwith from the computer....not asking for advice on how to download my crap or surf the net..=..,, you must work for Obama.

P.S
If you read closly....while my utorrent is slow you will also see that the ENTIRE internet is messed up because of this. This is not asking for help on torrents. Thanks and have a great night.

Edited by Crashoveride420, 01 May 2012 - 10:24 PM.

#5 Elise

Elise

Bleepin' Blonde

• Malware Study Hall Admin
  • 61,247 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:11 PM

Posted 02 May 2012 - 02:12 AM

First of all I certainly want to warn you against downloading illegal material using p2p (or whatever other means), as this is not only illegal, but also is very likely to bundle the latest malware with the latest movie and infect your computer that way.

Next, you mention you do not have access to the router; do you mean by that you cannot access that due to password or because the router is not physically accessible?
If a password is set and you or your sister/her boyfriend don't know it, then you can simply reset the router. The routers manufacturer site or user manual will tell you how to do this and what the default login is.

regards, Elise

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+ | lockerdome

Malware analyst @ Emsisoft

#6 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,123 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2012 - 02:41 AM

I will post back with any help I can offer when I return to my office. :thumbup2:
Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer

#7 Crashoveride420

Crashoveride420
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 99 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2012 - 11:26 AM

Thanks....im not trying to be a di#% or annything....in fact i have gotten some cool FREE legal torrents. i was not sure if resetting the router would kick the settings, and didnt want to waste me time. The torrents i can do at home, but up there playing games on facebook is a pain long with everything else. Thanks again.

Edited by Crashoveride420, 02 May 2012 - 05:21 PM.

#8 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,123 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2012 - 11:27 PM

How are you connecting to the router? Wireless? How is the ps3 connected?
Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer

#9 Crashoveride420

Crashoveride420
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 99 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2012 - 06:39 AM

Both are connected wireless.

#10 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,123 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2012 - 07:02 AM

He more then likely has port forwarding, UpNp, DMZ enabled in the router. When you changed programs it changed the ports you were accessing that is why your speed increased. When your speed dropped back to null the ports were routed to the Ps3. There are tutorials All over the internet for him to use. They are very specific and easy to follow step by step. The only way to change these settings is to log into the route with the username and password that was set during setup.

Edited by Sneakycyber, 03 May 2012 - 07:03 AM.

Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users