Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Changing IP Address

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 yabbadoo

yabbadoo

• Banned
  • 510 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:59 PM

Posted 01 May 2012 - 02:53 PM

Windows XP Home, SP3. Desktop set. Internet connection by Cable Modem.

I have tried :-

cmd>ipconfig/release>enter, which appeared to work.

ipconfig/renew>enter, did not. Error message - cannot connect with DHCP server - timed out.

Result - no change.

Can anybody tell me why this never worked ? Big trouble to achieve IP change is out of the question, not all that important. I am just curious to know why these genuine commands do not work as they are commonly specified on various websites as being the procedure to follow.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 balon

balon

• Members
  • 432 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:59 AM

Posted 01 May 2012 - 03:48 PM

These CMD commands will not change your IP, at least I have never seen them change. Your best bet is if you have a router change your MAC address from your Router MAC Address to your PC MAC Address, so on and so forth. This only works every 24 hours, I usually use this because if I am on my computer MAC Address, my ports for games wont open properly, and on my router my ports seems to mess up and close so I switch my IP constantly, or getting banned from SA:MP Servers for being stupid :)

But to keep to the point, and tl;dr, ipconfig /release /renew doesnt seem to change your ip, at least to my knowledge.

#3 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:59 AM

Posted 01 May 2012 - 05:21 PM

Can anybody tell me why this never worked ? Big trouble to achieve IP change is out of the question, not all that important. I am just curious to know why these genuine commands do not work as they are commonly specified on various websites as being the procedure to follow.

Hi -
The commands you list are attempts to clear and re-enable your internet access only, none of them will change your IP address
This is set by your Internet Provider, therefore - IP address -
For further information you should contact your Internet Service Provider for more information -

This is only a very quick and brief explanation of what I think you are asking -

Thank You -
EDIT - Did you have a problem, or just a basic question ? ?

Edited by noknojon, 01 May 2012 - 05:23 PM.

#4 yabbadoo

yabbadoo
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 510 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:59 PM

Posted 01 May 2012 - 06:43 PM

Hi -
The commands you list are attempts to clear and re-enable your internet access only, none of them will change your IP address
This is set by your Internet Provider, therefore - IP address -
For further information you should contact your Internet Service Provider for more information -

This is only a very quick and brief explanation of what I think you are asking -

Thank You -
EDIT - Did you have a problem, or just a basic question ? ?

Thank you both for your replies.

No, I have no problem, was just experimenting on what some people say. Thought it would be nice to be able to change my IP at times, with such a minefield as the Internet sitting at the end of my keyboard.

I did contact my service provider - Virgin Media. They were not very helpful in terms of me being able to change my IP whenever I wanted, but did say that my IP address is assigned dynamically with a lease period of 3.5 days. So presumably, if I cut the power for 3.5 days, I would get a new IP.

They also said that it may be possible to clear the DHCP Cache to obtain a new IP address.

Not worth all that hassle, but again thanks for the enlightening comments.

Solution :- IP = RIP.

Edited by yabbadoo, 01 May 2012 - 06:44 PM.

#5 Alarmat330

Alarmat330

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:29 PM

Posted 09 March 2013 - 04:40 AM

Windows XP Home, SP3. Desktop set. Internet connection by Cable Modem.

I have tried :-

cmd>ipconfig/release>enter, which appeared to work.

ipconfig/renew>enter, did not. Error message - cannot connect with DHCP server - timed out.

Result - no change.

I don't know why those commands didn't work for you. It works for me always. Sometimes I will restart my Modem/Router and when I check my Ip address in sites like IP-Details.com ,the IP address will be changed automatically. I think this may vary according to the ISP . Some say their dynamic Ip will change every 24Hrs and for some others it will stay same for a week.

I did contact my service provider - Virgin Media. They were not very helpful in terms of me being able to change my IP whenever I wanted, but did say that my IP address is assigned dynamically with a lease period of 3.5 days. So presumably, if I cut the power for 3.5 days, I would get a new IP.

Cut power for 3.5 days? Is that even possible? May be you can do that when you go for a Vacation.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,299 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2013 - 12:07 PM

Info re lease time options worth reading, IMO:  http://www.neowin.net/forum/topic/521090-how-long-do-you-set-for-dhcp-lease-time/ .

Mine is the default 24 hours, I see no reason to adjust that.

Louis

#7 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,775 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:59 AM

Posted 11 March 2013 - 03:37 PM

I've had the same 'dynamic' IP for 2 years+. I've replaced a router and upgraded a modem during those two+ years. Had power off for two or three days days during home remodel. I guess nobody else wants it... :P

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#8 .X.

.X.

• Members
  • 490 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:59 PM

Posted 11 March 2013 - 07:49 PM

All I have to do is go to my modem's page, disconnect and then connect and I have a new IP. AT&T DSL.

#9 AddRAM

AddRAM

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2013 - 01:25 AM

In my experience, ipconfig /release and ipconfig/ restore have never worked. Two things have though. Turn off router, leave off for 24 hours, power back on. Or, call your ISP and ask to get a new IP address.

#10 Pajajn

Pajajn

• Members
  • 368 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2013 - 08:06 PM

As baloon said you could spoof the router MAC adress and trick your ISP into giving you a new external adress. Ive used it for a while and works like a charm. You could either change your entire location to another city or maintain the current but just changing a few numbers in the IP pool :guitar:.

As other said check with your specific Internet Provider before starting anything like this. May be illegal for you and we can't guarantee you anything but as personal experience this worked flawless everytime i needed to get unban from games/webpages and similiar so i wish you good luck with it

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users