Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Specialty Ink(s)

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 dr1310

dr1310

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:48 PM

Posted 01 May 2012 - 08:00 AM

I've found lots of great info on the internet that is helpful in my shop. Unfortunately,the humidity here in coastal NC causes the ink to smear and/or run on printouts of useful articles. Are there non-waterbased inks for Epson printers? If so, can they alternated with regular ink in the same printer or will I need to dedicate a printer just to the special inks? Alternatively, is there a paper which will resist humidity and allow me to use standard ink for this situation? Any thoughts greatly appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 kisk

kisk

• Members
  • 339 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2012 - 08:38 AM

I would check with your local printer supply companies or ink refilling companies like Cartridge World. They would be able to give you the best advice.

If you wanted to avoid the humidity issue altogether, have you thought about getting a good laser printer? I use a color laser printer and it blows away any inkjet printer in terms of speed and quality.
Posted Image

#3 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2012 - 11:25 AM

Ditto on the above. If you can live with the quality, a color laser is as waterprooof as it gets. If you just need to print text/B@W, there is no use holding out, get a laser printer now.

Inkjets, no matter if you go with pigment or dye based ink, it is never really waterproof. Paper makes the difference IMHO. That being said, I have had really good luck using "Epson Premium Glossy" photo paper with any number of inks(dye based). I currently use this paper with no-name dye based CIS ink, and they are water resistant (I can dip the print in a pan of water for a few seconds, remove it and dry it and it won't run). Slight color shift for whatever reaon, but no runs/smears. You have to let the paper set a couple of days to "cure" after printing for it to be water resistant.

Regular paper- there are some coated inkjet papers that are water resistant. You can find them at Office Depot/Office Max etc. They are usually at the upper end of the brightness scale, and more expensive than plain paper. With pigment based ink, they hold up...........for awhile. Long ago I used those papers to print resumes as I figured all sorts of coffeee/beverages would be spilled/spit on them as potential employers read through my resume/fantasy story.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#4 dr1310

dr1310
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2012 - 08:24 PM

Thanks to you both. I hadn't thought about a laser but that's a good idea. Paper makes that much difference, huh? I 'll give the glossy photo a try while I look at lasers.

#5 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,912 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:48 PM

Posted 02 May 2012 - 08:38 PM

Just another thought ...have you looked into a room dehumidifier or an Air conditioning unit to remove humidity?
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#6 abauw

abauw

• Members
  • 951 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:48 AM

Posted 14 May 2012 - 12:57 AM

Are there non-waterbased inks for Epson printers?

Have you try Epson DURABrite Ultra Ink?

:guitar: Take me to a place where time is frozen
You don't have to close your eyes to dream :busy:
You can find escape inside this moment :smash:
And I will follow  :whistle:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users