Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

defraging

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 bobbies

bobbies

• Members
  • 162 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:08 PM

Posted 01 May 2012 - 07:03 AM

Hi.I have a Packard Bell laptop running XP.I can't defrag my hard drive as it says i only have 5% space left and it needs 15%. It asks if i would still like to defrag anyway, but i declined. Would it still have worked.

I have a 500 gb external hard drive that i run karaoke from, with some photo's, and other stuff on it. Can i transfer some of my files etc of my laptop to the hard drive and then defrag my laptop, plus can i defrag an external hard drive so then i can put all the things a transferred back on to my laptop Thank you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 kisk

kisk

• Members
  • 339 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:08 AM

Posted 01 May 2012 - 08:01 AM

You might try giving CCleaner a run to clear up a little space on that drive. XP does not like being very low on hd space. How many GB are actually free?

To answer your question, yes you could move some of your personal files (movies/music/pictures) over to the external drive. No need to defrag the backup drive. You CAN, but it will make no difference on how the files end up when you transfer them back to your laptop.

I like to use Auslogics Disk Defrag to defrag. Use the +optimize option. :thumbup2:
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users