Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

VISTA Startup Repair continuous loop

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 JeffreyM

JeffreyM

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:42 PM

Posted 01 May 2012 - 06:37 AM

Hoping someone can pin point what I have missed in my attempts at fixing my brothers laptop.

Laptop spec is Fujitsu Siemens Esprimo Mobile V5635 with Windows VISTA 32 bit

When switched on it continually goes into the startup repair window but is unable to fix the issue and reboots. I do not have the VISTA image but have copied a recovery disk but am not able to make it bootable.

What have I attempted so far?
I have removed the HDD and virus scanned via another computer - found 6 virus and killed 5 (I suspect virus on MBR?)
I can access safe mode and tried all options to no avail - eventually goes into its startup repair loop process
I have used chkdsk but reports no errors..................

To summarise
I have copied a VISTA image from the intenet (had to pay around 6) and copied that onto my CD but was unable to make it bootable.

Someone please with ideas.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 kisk

kisk

• Members
  • 339 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2012 - 08:06 AM

Start your computer and start pressing F8 about once a second until you get to a menu.

Select the option to Disable Automatic Restart .. its near the bottom of the list.

Write down any relevant information, including stop codes ie (0x0003)
Posted Image

#3 JeffreyM

JeffreyM
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2012 - 09:47 AM

thanks for responding....

I did as you suggested but there were no stop codes; everything was "succesfull".

Not sure whether this is a positive or negative but the only message I looked at twice went something like this -

system disk =/device/harddisk0
windows directory = c/windows
autochkrun = 0
number of root causes = 1

Not sure whether the number of root causes = 1 is a positive or negative?

Already tried the system restore and they obviously had never set one or it does not function.

Thoughts?

#4 Artrooks

Artrooks

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:42 PM

Posted 01 May 2012 - 05:16 PM

Hello JeffreyM,

When you said you ran chkdsk from the Command Prompt option was it chkdsk /R ? If not, try it again. You'll have to reboot and it may take hours to complete. Don't stop it. When finished, it will attempt to boot into normal Windows.

Regarding the "rescue disk" you purchased, I suspect it is a Vista Repair Disk. If so, it doesn't offer any further options that the Advanced Boot Options Menu, "Repair My Computer" selection has. If you have been attempting startup repair, system restore, and command prompt, that is what you have been using. There may be an option to recover the computer to factory specifications on that menu. See this post. I'm not recommending this option yet as all data will be lost.

If you strongly suspect an infected MBR, it might be best to post in Bleeping Computer's Virus, Trojan, Spyware, and Malware Removal Logs Forum. They have experts with special tools to diagnose infections even on nonbooting systems. Just a thought.

Regards,
Brooks

#5 JeffreyM

JeffreyM
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2012 - 04:38 AM

Thank you Artrooks I will give it a try today; appreciate the offer of help.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users