Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Mime coding in email

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Shannacat

Shannacat

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:02 AM

Posted 30 April 2012 - 12:58 PM

Greetings, Most email downloaded from Optimum.net into my Outlook 2007 is converted to plain text and contains multiple lines of MIME coding. The same message sent to my Bresnan.net account and downloaded to my Outlook does not contain the extra lines of coding and appears in the font and color sent. Bresnan was recently purchased by Optimum. Email viewed on the Optimum web page appears normal. Note: email sent to my Optimum address from either the Optimum or the Bresnan web pages appears normal in my Outlook, but email sent to my Optimum address from gmail or yahoo and viewed in Outlook are converted as above. Optimum claims no responsibility. I have been on the phone with Outlook Help for a couple hours, and they cannot fix the problem. The Bresnan and Optimum accounts are set up the same in Outlook. My wife uses Outlook 2010 and has the same problem. We both use Windows 7. Any ideas? Many thanks. BTW since we are in the same house and have, the same problem, I logged in with her credentials. Dave

Holy software, Batman. Since I originally posted this, Shannacat's Optimum has started downloading normally to her Outlook 2010. To be sure, we went back and looked at emails to her Optimum account from various sources, and the problem was definitely there two days ago. She has done nothing to modify her computer settings, so perhaps something has changed at Optiimum after my negative review of their service. Meanwhile, my emails in Outlook from Optimum are still abnormal as above.

Edited by Shannacat, 30 April 2012 - 01:42 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:02 PM

Posted 30 April 2012 - 01:15 PM

Can you copy and paste the affected email into your next post?

#3 Shannacat

Shannacat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2012 - 06:13 PM

Skip to last message

I apologize if this is a repeat

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.

--E2a=_hzoCSZf4rKyx8IcPjorgDFKvSqGcO
Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

--E2a=_hzoCSZf4rKyx8IcPjorgDFKvSqGcO
Content-Type: text/html; charset="us-ascii"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable
Content-Disposition: inline

<html xmlns:v=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:vml" xmlns:o=3D"urn:schemas= -microsoft-com:office:office" xmlns:w=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:off=
ice:word" xmlns:m=3D"http://schemas.microsoft.com/office/2004/12/omml"=
xmlns=3D"http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40"><head><META HTTP-EQUIV=3D"C= ontent-Type" CONTENT=3D"text/html; charset=3Dus-ascii"><meta name=3DGe= nerator content=3D"Microsoft Word 12 (filtered medium)"><style><!--
/* Font Definitions */
@font-face
{font-family:"Cambria Math";
panose-1:2 4 5 3 5 4 6 3 2 4;}
@font-face
{font-family:Calibri;
panose-1:2 15 5 2 2 2 4 3 2 4;}
/* Style Definitions */
p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal
{margin:0in;
margin-bottom:.0001pt;
font-size:11.0pt;
font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif";}
a:link, span.MsoHyperlink
{mso-style-priority:99;
color:blue;
text-decoration:underline;}
a:visited, span.MsoHyperlinkFollowed
{mso-style-priority:99;
color:purple;
text-decoration:underline;}
span.EmailStyle17
{mso-style-type:personal-compose;
font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif";
color:windowtext;}
MsoChpDefault
{mso-style-type:export-only;}
@page WordSection1
{size:8.5in 11.0in;
margin:1.0in 1.0in 1.0in 1.0in;}
div.WordSection1
{page:WordSection1;}
--></style><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml>
<o:shapedefaults v:ext=3D"edit" spidmax=3D"1026" /> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <o:shapelayout v:ext=3D"edit"> <o:idmap v:ext=3D"edit" data=3D"1" /> </o:shapelayout></xml><![endif]--></head><body lang=3DEN-US link=3Dblu= e vlink=3Dpurple><div class=3DWordSection1><p class=3DMsoNormal><o:p>&= nbsp;</o:p></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p><p class=3DMs=
oNormal><span style=3D'font-size:9.0pt;font-family:"Arial","sans-serif=
"'>David F. Smith<o:p></o:p></span></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><span styl=
e=3D'font-size:9.0pt;font-family:"Arial","sans-serif"'>463 Shadow Rock= Court<o:p></o:p></span></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><span style=3D'font-s= ize:9.0pt;font-family:"Arial","sans-serif"'>Grand Junction, CO 81507-8= 770<o:p></o:p></span></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><span style=3D'font-size= :9.0pt;font-family:"Arial","sans-serif"'>970-812-5500<o:p></o:p></span=
></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p></div></body></html>

--E2a=_hzoCSZf4rKyx8IcPjorgDFKvSqGcO--

Best regards, Dave aka shannacat

Edited by Shannacat, 30 April 2012 - 08:20 PM.

#4 Shannacat

Shannacat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2012 - 08:25 PM

Gak! The culprit is System Mechanic Pro. When email scanning is disabled the messages come through normally. Strange that it interferes with the Optimun account but not the Bresnan account. Thanks for your time, and I'll end this discussion unless you have some other advice. Regards, Dave

#5 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2012 - 02:21 AM

BC highly discourages the use of Registry Cleaners, and applications that claim to speed up computers. Please remove the application.

#6 Shannacat

Shannacat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2012 - 01:10 PM

OK. Thanks for the advice. Two additional questions. Any idea why System Mechanic Pro would let through email from my Bresnan account and my wife's Optimum Acct unaltered but not usually from my Optimum acct? Or why an email from either the Bresnan or Optimum web pages to Optimum reach my Outlook unadulterated? I ask because I could turn off the registry functions of Syst Mech and use the virus and malware protection if I could get my email to download properly. Finally, if I can't get the Optimum email to work with System Mechanic, what do you like for anti virus/malware? I used to use AVG free and Spybot free. BTW getting the Optimum to work is important because they will shut down the Bresnan servers eventually. Thanks again. And sorry for the direct email. I missed the last part about 24-48 hrs. Dave

Edited by Shannacat, 01 May 2012 - 01:13 PM.

#7 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2012 - 01:24 PM

I am not sure, but in all honesty, I would get rid of System Mechanic and use something like AVAST or AVG.

#8 Shannacat

Shannacat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2012 - 01:32 PM

Many thanks. Dave

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users