Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How Do I Know If I've Been Jacked

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 reynolds_71

reynolds_71

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:24 AM

Posted 25 February 2006 - 12:08 AM

how do i know if i've been hijacked? whats been happening is i cant go to several sites. like ebay and others (to many to list). also a icon keeps appearing on my desktop its title is custom. when i look at the properties its says its a DIC file.

thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,476 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:24 AM

Posted 25 February 2006 - 07:52 AM

Browser hijackers are malware Trojan programs, applications or web sites that set the user's default browser home page to an unwanted URL or change the default search engines defined within the browser to unwanted search engines and sites. These applications and web sites can configure Windows to prevent users from changing those settings back to the users' preferences and can edit the HOSTS file to tie known web sites to certain IP addresses, thus ensuring that users are directed to unexpected and unwanted web pages.

What you are saying is that there are certain sites you cannot visit and an unknown icon on your desktop which can be indicative of other malware.

Have you performed any anti-spyware scans? What type of anti-virus are you using and when was the last time you ran a scan? If not, then you need to do these scans.

Here are some recommendations:

Free Antivirus programs (install only one):
AVG - How to Install, Configure, and Use AVG
Avast - How to Install, Configure, and Use Avast Antivirus

Free malware scanning/removal programs:
Ad-Aware SE
Spybot S&D
Microsoft Windows Defender (Beta)
Ewido Anti-Malware v3.5
Ewido Install and Scan Instructions

Free programs to help prevent spyware, homepage hijacking and increase your browser security.:
SpywareGuard [protects your homepage from being hijacked]: How to Use Tutorial
SpywareBlaster [blocks known malware sites by adding them to IE's restricted sites zone]: How to Use Tutorial
IE-SPYAD [blocks even more malware sites by adding hem to IE's restricted sites zone]: Install-Uninstall Tutorial

Free online virus scanners:
Trend Micro Housecall
Panda ActiveScan
Kaspersky Webscan [be sure to click "[b]Scan Settings[/b]" and check the option to use the EXTENDED DATABASE]

Edited by quietman7, 25 February 2006 - 03:31 PM.

Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 reynolds_71

reynolds_71
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:24 AM

Posted 25 February 2006 - 12:57 PM

ok i use spybot s&d and ad-aware. also my virus protection is avast!. i scan for viruses min once a week. i scan for spyware eveyday or at least every other. well i just did a scan. had a few problems (tracking cookies) cleaned them up.

#4 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:24 AM

Posted 25 February 2006 - 01:37 PM

A .dic file is associated with spell checking in many word processors, 'though I am unsure why it would popup on your desktop, unless you saved a custom dictionary there by mistake.

I think if members had a better understanding of what precisely happens when you "can't go to several sites" they could help narrow the problem. Do you get any kind of error messages, for example? What browser do you use?
Can you get to the site itself, but cannot log-on to it?

Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users