Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

RAM maxing out while computer sits idle

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 MakeshiftAtomsmasher

MakeshiftAtomsmasher

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:57 PM

Posted 30 April 2012 - 07:55 AM

Can this be moved to the Windows 7 Forum? I apologize for putting it in the wrong place!

Hello this is my first post here although throughout the years I have read a few threads which have helped me immensely so I hope my actual post will have the same result!

I started to notice a few days ago that my computer was running extremely slow, it happened when I was tranfering MP3's to my Mp3 Player. Now I've never had the problem of it moving slow and ive done this process while watching movies and other things as well.

I stopped the transfer process, restarted my computer. I tried the transfer again and the same thing happened. I opened up Task Manager and looked at the CPU, it was fine, however the RAM was at almost 100% usage (I have 4Gb of RAM), and all I had running was Avast, and Windows Media Player (which was transferring my Mp3's). So I stopped the process again and restarted my computer logged in and everything was fine. When i finished with my computer I got up went and did some things that took a few hours, came back and went to get on the internet and the same sluggish performance happened again.

Now I've done many things, every system/virus scan, defrag, scandsk, deleted programs I do not use,and I even bought new RAM, changed my Virtual Memory settings with help from a friend, and absolutely nothing has worked. The strange thing is it seems if I am actively using it say searching the web it seems fine but when its just sitting there doing nothing is when the problem seems to happen.

Last night before bed I decided to boot my comp in Safe Mode and leave it on just to see if the sluggishness would be in Safe Mode, well i woke up this morning and it was fine, was just as I left it initially. Now i've read many things it could be from Memory Leaking to to many programs running upon startup (which I know isnt the case as I am very picky about that) but I am at a loss so i thought I would ask here.

Should the computer being fine in Safe Mode tell me that there is some sort of virus or some program that is acting maliciously on part of my RAM? I realise my questions probably arent he most technically saavy but I thought I'd ask. If you need more information about my system just ask!

Thank you to all prospective helpers!

Edited by hamluis, 30 April 2012 - 09:21 AM.
Moved from XP to Win 7 - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Baltboy

Baltboy

Bleepin' Flame Head

• BC Advisor
  • 1,430 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:57 PM

Posted 30 April 2012 - 08:32 AM

I have seen similar memory overruns and slow downs caused by the Windows Media Player Network Sharing Service. It is normally only used for universal plug and play devices. Type services in the search box and choose the one with the little gear beside it. Scroll down until you find the service named above. Double click the service, choose stop, and then in the drop down box select disable. Exit out of everything and restart the computer. Double check that Media player is still allowing you to transfer files.
Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.
Mark Twain

#3 MakeshiftAtomsmasher

MakeshiftAtomsmasher
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:57 PM

Posted 01 May 2012 - 05:54 AM

Thanks! This did fix the problem!

#4 Baltboy

Baltboy

Bleepin' Flame Head

• BC Advisor
  • 1,430 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2012 - 02:22 PM

Glad I could help. :thumbup2:
Mark Twain

#5 Dridion

Dridion

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2012 - 03:07 AM

Hey Baltboy, thank God this thread is here. Since yesterday I've been experiencing the same symptoms. I've tried the above method but it doesn't seem to be solving it. On idle I experience anywhere from 50-100% memory usage which is insane. I currently have 8gigs installed.

The problem seems to have started yesterday. I was looking for a way to play hi10p vids so I installed a couple of codecs that I didn't previously have (I was using vlc media player with ffdshow and I was told that mpc hc was better for 10bit vid). I installed the LAV filters as well as madvr and ReClock. That's when everything went to hell. I'm not sure if any of the codecs/programs could cause something this intense. The problem now is, back to the original point, on idle my system is using all of its memory...please help.

Sorry if this was TL;DR...just wanted the entire scenario explained. Also, does disabling windows media player network sharing service effect anything drastic?

Edited by Dridion, 04 May 2012 - 03:08 AM.

#6 Baltboy

Baltboy

Bleepin' Flame Head

• BC Advisor
  • 1,430 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2012 - 09:05 AM

Disabling the Windows Media Player Network Sharing Service should only affect devices that are Universal Plug and Play Compatible. Which to my knowledge is little to none on the market. I have disabled this on many systems with no issues. As A side note one of the first rules of computer trouble shooting is to undo the last thing that was done before the problem started so I would suggest uninstalling the newly installed programs till the offender reveals itself.
Mark Twain

#7 Dridion

Dridion

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2012 - 09:45 AM

Gotcha and thanks. I've managed to pin down the culprit. It seems that every time I open up my video folder the leaks begin to occur. I started to check which files where busy. I'm going to try deleting it in safe mode. Thanks again for the help!

#8 Baltboy

Baltboy

Bleepin' Flame Head

• BC Advisor
  • 1,430 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2012 - 03:33 PM

If you have thumbnails on for that folder turn it off. Having a lot of video thumbnails can really drag a system down when viewing a folder.
Mark Twain

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users