Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Screen stays black after bootup

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 g.k.

g.k.

• Members
  • 415 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:33 AM

Posted 30 April 2012 - 07:26 AM

Hi guys,

I have an Acer Aspire 5520 laptop that I have been using for 3-4 years. Besides overheating and short battery life, I hadn't had any problems until today. Yesterday it was running fine, but today the screen stays black when I boot it up. The screen doesn't turn black - it stays black as if I hadn't booted up at all. I haven't installed any new software. I haven't dropped it, so it should have no recent physical damage. It had 2 GB RAM and about 100-150 GB free space, so that shouldn't be a problem either. I haven't had any malware problems recently.

When I boot it up, it makes the noise it always does when booting up - fan running, and a few clicks coming from the CD drive. The BIOS light flashes normally. No strange beeps or anything. I have to close it manually afterwards. I'm thinking the display card has failed somehow, but is there any way I can know for sure or fix it?

I tried to run it after unplugging all USB drives, the mouse and the cooling pad. I ran it while charged and when not getting charged, but it still doesn't work.

I use W7 by the way, if it's relevant in any way.

Edited by g.k., 30 April 2012 - 07:30 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Baltboy

Baltboy

Bleepin' Flame Head

• Members
  • 1,432 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:33 AM

Posted 30 April 2012 - 08:37 AM

Try plugging it into an external monitor. If the desktop shows up then it is something directly relayed to the screen. Also try taking a flashlight and shining it on an angle across the screen. If the backlighing is out then you will see an a faint image.
Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.
Mark Twain

#3 g.k.

g.k.
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 415 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:33 AM

Posted 30 April 2012 - 12:00 PM

Tried the flashlight thing, saw nothing. I don't have a monitor so I won't be able to do that for the time being. However, I can take it to school on Wednesday and connect it to a video projector. Would that do the job? Also, anything else?

Edited by g.k., 01 May 2012 - 05:56 AM.

#4 Baltboy

Baltboy

Bleepin' Flame Head

• Members
  • 1,432 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:33 AM

Posted 03 May 2012 - 02:26 PM

The projector will be fine. Just remember you might need to switch to the projector using the FN key and find the key that has the graphic that looks like a screen for it to work. Thia will let us know if it is the screen or the video chip on the motherboard. Either way not a really cheap thing to repair.
Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.
Mark Twain

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users