Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

indexing external hard drive

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 reggiereg

reggiereg

• Members
  • 151 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:14 AM

Posted 30 April 2012 - 04:53 AM

Hi all,

I've recently spent 2 days indexing an external hard drive and now the index has appeared to have gone, for most of that drive.

1) if I index an external drive and remove, re boot, and re attach the drive, will the index still work for the external hard drive?
2) if the answer to question 1) is yes, why can I not search all but the most recent files on this re attached drive?

Please help, as I don't want to re index each time I dis and re connect!

Thanks in advance,

Reggie.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,551 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:14 AM

Posted 30 April 2012 - 04:00 PM

I think that you will find that...indexing is a vexing, troublesome feature and is disabled by many users because of this. It has not been demonstrated to produce any distinct advantage over not using it, IMO.

Louis

#3 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:14 PM

Posted 30 April 2012 - 08:03 PM

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/Libraries-frequently-asked-questions#
What types of locations are supported in libraries? << Expand and read this part of the link -
You can include folders in a library from many different locations, such as your computer's C drive, an external hard drive, or a network.
On an external hard drive
Yes, "but" the content won't be available if the drive is disconnected.

#4 reggiereg

reggiereg
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 151 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:14 AM

Posted 01 May 2012 - 06:40 AM

Thanks noknojon and hamluis for your informative responses.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users