Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

WIn XP Pro

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 RogerAshley

RogerAshley

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:11 PM

Posted 30 April 2012 - 03:07 AM

I have had to completely clean my hard drive and re-install XP Pro, following a virus attack, inspite of having anti virus and anti malware installed and updated daily. I got a new activation code from microsoft. Two items have occured and I have looked through various web sites to fnd an answer, but can't.
My problem is that on starting the laptop, initially I can see a very faint Windows page for about 90 seconds, it then comes up bright but the blue install squares stop periodically before eventually giving the desktop screen.
The second problem has occured after installing drivers, before I could get straight into the desktop, now it shows a two tone blue box which is looking for a password, none is set, so I just open up. On shut down it asks what I want the PC to do?..I dont need this as I am the only one using the laptop. I am trying to get it sorted before a visit to hospital, I'd rather watch DVD's than sit chewing my nails in frustration.
I would be so grateful for any help.
PyrusBoy.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,565 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:11 PM

Posted 30 April 2012 - 09:32 AM

Did you run the appropriate diagnostic on the hard drive...before attempting your clean install effort?

System manufacturer and model?

How did you attempt your install...what media was used?

Louis

#3 RogerAshley

RogerAshley
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:11 PM

Posted 01 May 2012 - 12:47 AM

Hi,
I am trying to get my Toshiba Techra M2 reborn. I ran chkdsk/r and memcheck, no problems found. I installed the OS Wind XP Pro from the original cd. The drivers for the Toshiba came from the Toshiba web site. I have got back to the direct entry to the Desktop by removing a Cisco Driver, so the second part of my problem is sorted out.
All the best from Kent, UK.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,565 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:11 PM

Posted 01 May 2012 - 06:41 AM

FWIW: Chkdsk /r is a file system tool, although it does concern itself with data which is situated on bad sectors of a hard drive. It does not/cannot repair anything that is wrong with a hard drive...it tries to move data files on bad sectors...to good sectors.

Thus my question about running the appropriate hard drive diagnostic. Chkdsk /r is not a hard drive diagnostic, these tools are available from the websites of the respective hard drive manufacturers...and are not necessarily interchangeable. If you have a Seagate/Samsung drive...use the Seagate tool. If you have a Hitachi drive, use the Hitachi tool. And so on.

For Toshiba laptops, see FujitsuToshiba - http://sdd.toshiba.com/main.aspx?Path=ServicesSupport/FujitsuDrivesUSandCanada/SoftwareUtilities .

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users