Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What a "wonderful" world we live in

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Union_Thug

Union_Thug

Bleeps with the fishes...

• Members
  • 2,355 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:31 PM

Posted 30 April 2012 - 12:54 AM

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-17884897

>>>The Ministry of Defence is considering placing surface-to-air missiles on residential flats during the Olympics.

An east London estate, where 700 people live, has received leaflets saying a "Higher Velocity Missile system" could be placed on a water tower. A spokesman said the MoD had not yet decided whether to deploy ground based air defence systems during the event.

But estate resident Brian Whelan said firing the missiles "would shower debris across the east end of London".The journalist said: "At first I thought it was a hoax. I can't see what purpose high-velocity missiles could serve over a crowded area like Tower Hamlets."They say they'll only use them as a last resort, but... you'd shower debris across the east end of London by firing these missiles."<<<

Edited by Union_Thug, 30 April 2012 - 12:54 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sani-T-Capt1

Sani-T-Capt1

• Members
  • 559 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:31 PM

Posted 30 April 2012 - 07:19 PM

To quote the former show host Arsenio............ "Things that make you say Hmmmmmmm." :crazy: :crazy:
Either We Learn to Live Together as People, Or Die Apart as Fools !

Ignorance ISN'T Bliss, It's Just "IGNORANCE"!!

#3 kisk

kisk

• Members
  • 339 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:31 PM

Posted 30 April 2012 - 08:37 PM

Bet if they did no one would be dumb enough to fly through there huh? I think its a good plan :thumbsup:
Posted Image

#4 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:31 PM

Posted 30 April 2012 - 09:43 PM

their worried about debris? lets look at why their their for in the first place, because someone might just attack the olympics. Hmmmmm personally, id rather be dodging debris then a missile or a bomb. . .just saying. Debris yes could hurt and kill maybe depending on the size of it, but a bomb? I think Ill take my chances with the debris. If they think the threats enough to put surface to air missiles on the water tower, I say go for it, and take a short vacation to the in-laws out of town. Or maybe just go to the olympics, I mean seriously, if them SAMs do what their supposed to do, then the Olympics are now the safest place. :D

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#5 Guest_Xircal_*

Guest_Xircal_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 03 May 2012 - 12:09 PM

Actually, I think it's asking for trouble. If they're going to site them anywhere, it needs to be on the fringes of the capital, not slap bang in the middle of dockland.

What do they imagine would happen if a group of fanatics hijacked a flight and they shot the aircraft down with a missile? Even an Airbus A320 which is a commonly used aircraft for European flights is quite a size and having that fall out of the sky somewhere over the capital is likely to ruin your whole day.

It's putting temptation too firmly in the wrong hands IMHO.

#6 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2012 - 09:33 PM

the flaw in your logic xir, is that in most cases, when hit with a missile, especially something the size of a commercial airliner a plane wont go down right in that exact location it will still travel for some distance before hitting, unless its totally obilterated, and theres no way of predicting where it would go down and even if you put the missiles on the fringes of the capitol, the chances of it actually going down in a populated area are quite high.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

#7 Guest_Xircal_*

Guest_Xircal_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 04 May 2012 - 03:47 AM

the flaw in your logic xir, is that in most cases, when hit with a missile, especially something the size of a commercial airliner a plane wont go down right in that exact location it will still travel for some distance before hitting, unless its totally obilterated, and theres no way of predicting where it would go down and even if you put the missiles on the fringes of the capitol, the chances of it actually going down in a populated area are quite high.

Yes, that's correct, but if a hijack was going to take place, it probably wouldn't be initiated while the aircraft was flying over open countryside, or water and is more likely to take place somewhere near the outskirts of the city. Yes, people on the ground will still be killed, but fewer than in a heavily populated area like the City of London which is close to Docklands (the site of the Olympics).

Actually, it wouldn't surprise me at all if they reroute commercial flights away from the Olympic area during the games. There will still be light aircraft to contend with, but the RAF should be able to deal with those.

It would be a catastrophe though if one of these missiles was fired with the intention of bringing down a perceived threat only for it to stray off course and take out an A380 enroute to Heathrow Airport.

#8 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:31 PM

Posted 04 May 2012 - 08:25 PM

my point is, that first A: yes it may be hijacked, but it will be likely flying toward the town and closing in well before anyone figures it out, and two, even if the missile hits while the aircraft is 5 miles outside of town there is still a high chance it will come down inside a neighborhood. In fact, possibly higher then if it were hit by a missile over a city as the wreckage may fly outside of town if it was hit there, planes rarely drop straight down.

picard5.jpg

#9 Guest_Xircal_*

Guest_Xircal_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 05 May 2012 - 03:19 AM

my point is, that first A: yes it may be hijacked, but it will be likely flying toward the town and closing in well before anyone figures it out, and two, even if the missile hits while the aircraft is 5 miles outside of town there is still a high chance it will come down inside a neighborhood. In fact, possibly higher then if it were hit by a missile over a city as the wreckage may fly outside of town if it was hit there, planes rarely drop straight down.

Well, it seems that if necessary, permission will be given to shoot down a hijacked airliner.

I hope the guys manning these missile batteries are sane individuals. It only needs one of them with a hand-held device at his disposal to lose the plot and mayhem will ensue.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users