Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Boot Loop Error

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Pestyone

Pestyone

• Members
  • 315 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:00 PM

Posted 29 April 2012 - 10:41 PM

Ok not sure if i can fix this all by myself but here goes.

Using vista HP and trying to do a sys restore but got sys recover instead; so all i get now is that i must reformat and have lost my desktop and can t get back system restore ! ?

So wondering how i get back to system restore; don t want to do a recovery and lose my docs and photos can t see how to save those to dvd or to my ext hard drive.

I can t get into safe mode and i have the three set hp recovery dvds but can t see how that helps.

So what do i do now ? ?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Artrooks

Artrooks

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2012 - 10:12 AM

Hi Pestyone,

1.) What is the model number of your HP computer?

Using vista HP and trying to do a sys restore but got sys recover instead

2.) I'm not clear on what happened. Did you actually perform a System Recovery or you did not?

3.) What happens if you restart your computer and press the "F8" button repeatedly before the Windows logo appears. If a menu appears, what are your options?

Regards,
Brooks

#3 Pestyone

Pestyone
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 315 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2012 - 04:15 AM

Ok i did not do a sys recovery but i can t get out of it i am locked in. Got that instead of sys restore dang it.

When i tap F8 all i get is windows files loading; no options and the then sys recovery pops up asking me to proceed.

Using HP Presario - SR5710Y . .

#4 Artrooks

Artrooks

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2012 - 06:45 AM

Hi,

You may not be hitting the F8 key fast enough at startup. Below is a good HP instructional page for startup issues.

I would like you to first go to this HP link: Computer Does Not Start (Windows Vista).
  • Please arrow down (about half way) to "Standard steps to resolve most startup problems." Printing this page will prove helpful later on.
  • As instructed, make sure the hard drive is detected in BIOS.
  • If not detected, let us know; otherwise, proceed through "Hard drive is detected."
  • Make sure the computer is turned off as instructed before powering on and proceeding with the F8 step.
  • Please read the Note: as you may have to attempt this using your Recovery Disk if this first method fails.
    You do Not want "Windows Complete PC Restore" option at this time.
  • If you are able to reach the "Repair Your Computer " option, select your keyboard, and log in.
  • Click "Startup Repair" and follow the prompts. It may want you to reboot. If so attempt to boot into normal windows.
  • If Startup Repair fails, try the "Command prompt" actions #11 and 12. (note the "space" after Bootrec)
  • Let use know how you make out.

Regards,
Brooks

#5 Pestyone

Pestyone
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 315 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2012 - 06:50 AM

Will try again startup repair hasn t worked the last time i tryed the repair my pc options does come up listing several but nothing works.

#6 Artrooks

Artrooks

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2012 - 06:56 AM

If "Startup Repair" doesn't work this time, then try the two "Command Prompt" fixes.

Regards,
Brooks

#7 Pestyone

Pestyone
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 315 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2012 - 08:23 PM

Ok i have no start menu; i have no desktop; i can t get into sys recovery; i can t get into cmd or command promt; i can t get into safemode.

Tryed them all several times before posting here any ideas that aren t standard to try before posting here ? ?

#8 Artrooks

Artrooks

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2012 - 09:53 AM

Pestyone,

It's not looking good. Those were the steps recommended by HP. I'm not sure that there are any other options but a recovery restore.

You stated previously that you have the Recovery Disks for the computer.
See this link: http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c00814731&lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en&product=3867474.
  • Arrow down to "Starting recovery from recovery discs."
  • Be sure to read "Backing up files during recovery."

Maybe others will have more suggestions.

Regards,
Brooks

#9 Artrooks

Artrooks

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2012 - 10:05 AM

Hello,

A second thought. You might feel better if you can rescue your documents and photos before performing a Recovery, even if the recovery lets you attempt to backup these files. Give this a try.

Recover your Documents from an unbootable Windows System:
If your computer is non-bootable and has a CD\DVDROM drive, you can problably access and copy your documents using an "alternative" operating system "Live CD."

While there are many ways to accomplish this, one of the fastest and easiest is using a Puppy Linux live CD.

What you will need:
Another computer with internet connection and a CD burner, software capable for "burning an "iso" image to CD", a blank recordable CD disc, and a USB Flash drive or external USB drive large enough to rescue all of your documents.

Start by downloading Lucid Puppy Linux (132 MB) from here or here.

• Burn the iso file to CD.
  • Don't have the appropriate software or don't know how to burn the iso file to make the CD bootable. (See how to).
  • Make sure your computer is set to boot from CD/DVD drive first. (See how to)
  • Boot the computer with the newly created CD.
  • Puppy Linux is a "Live CD" which means that it runs outside of the windows operating system that is on your computer.
  • Puppy should progress and run automatically. When the desktop loads, click "OK" at the Personal Settings screen.
  • Note the icons, bottom left, above the Menu button. They represent each drive on your computer. Plug in your USB Flash drive if you haven't already. The flash drive icon will soon appear.

Posted Image
  • Unlike Windows, in Puppy you only have to mouse click once on an icon to open it.
  • Find your system hard drive by exploring the hard drive icons ("hda" or "sda").
  • Note: use the green arrow (top left) on screen to go back up a directory.
  • WINDOWS Vista and 7 - Click once on your hard drive. Go to "My Documents" folder by clicking "Users," then "<YourUserName>." You will see the "My Documents" folder.
  • Click once on your USB drive. Now arrange the two screens by dragging them using the top, title bar so that both are visible; one on top of the other. Each window can be made smaller by positioning your mouse either on the top or right side of each window.

Posted Image
  • Drag the "My Documents" folder into the USB drive and release. Click "Copy." Do the same for any other folders or files that are important.
  • When the Flash drive is full, you can right mouse click on the Desktop Flash Drive icon and select "Dismount." Remove Flash drive and copy files to another computer. Re-insert Flash drive into unbootable system to recover additional files.
  • To "Exit" Puppy Linux, click "Menu," "Shutdown," and "Reboot." You will be presented with a screen asking to save any personal settings. Arrow over to "Do Not Save" and press <Enter>. The system will reboot. Remove the CD.

Regards,
Brooks

#10 Pestyone

Pestyone
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 315 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2012 - 10:38 AM

Ok ops let me read what was just posted; but was just wondering is recovery better from the restore discs or the HD and whats with partitions should the be saved or deleted and if so how and how long do i have to wait till the save/backup option pops up and what happens if the option doesn t come up ? ! ? ?

ok reading now . .

#11 Artrooks

Artrooks

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2012 - 02:29 PM

Recovery is the same whether recovery partition or recovery DVDs are used. Looks like you don't have access to recovery partition at this point but you can use the set of DVDs.

I would attempt to backup your data with the Linux CD if possible before using the recovery disks, just to be on the safe side.

I have never used the HP recovery disks so I can't comment on the backup capability; however, per HP documentation, you should be presented with that option before recovery.

Regards,
Brooks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users