Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dead Lap Top Twice Resurrected

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 hoon0072000

hoon0072000

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:06 AM

Posted 29 April 2012 - 04:31 PM

Hello,

I have a Dell Inspiron 1525 with Vista Premium Home Edition, Sevice Pack 2. A couple weeks ago I pushed the power button and there was no response at all. No lights, no sounds; totally dead. I did some research and by pushing the Fn key and the power button together I did get a response; the Num Lk icon/light on the keyboard lit up while the Caps Lock icon/light flashed very fast. I did find a video that showed a similair scenario which said that this indicated the motherboard was fried. However the Caps Lock icon in the video presentation flashed much slower than mine.

Needless to say I still came to the conclusion that my laptop was dead. After about 4 days of it sitting on my desk without the battery or the power cord attatched I decided to put the battery back in along with the power cord and voila! There was life, but it said that windows did not shut down properly; it did its thing and when it finished everything was normal. So I just chalked it up to some strange anomaly.

Fast forward to 4 days ago. She's been running like a champ and then I sit down and push the power button and nothing; it has once more given up the ghost. I push the Fn key and power button again and it does the same thing that it had done previously.

Today: She's been sitting without the battery or power cord. I put the battery in, and then the power cord; I push the power button and once again my laptop has come back to life.

One thing I noted about each one of these incidences is that when life was restored in each case the time on the clock was wrong by several hours.

I would greatly appreciate any help you could give. I use this computer for work and if I need a new one I would like to have it before this one dies for good.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 PCCom

PCCom

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:06 PM

Posted 30 April 2012 - 11:22 AM

Hi,

I'm not positive about what is causing you laptop to no shut down correctly i am sure that your Cmos /coin battery is bad. They are pretty inexpensive and though with some laptops it is an adventure to replace it. Here is the page for the maintenance manual.

The Cmos battery keeps the time for the Motherboard when there is no other power. Hence the time being off.

If that doesn't correct the problem try updating the bios by following these instructions

Hope that helps

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users