Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dell diagnostics does not recognize replacment hard disk

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 richierein

richierein

• Members
  • 379 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:11 AM

Posted 29 April 2012 - 02:42 PM

I had a hard disk crash on an old Dell D610 laptop. I purchased a used (guaranteed) replacement 80gb drive from a company in Hong Kong but my Dell diagnostics does not recognize it. How can I create a bootable CD on another computer that can possibly see it and format it. I tried DBAN to wipe it but DBAN also doesn't see the drive. Any other suggestions?

Edited by richierein, 29 April 2012 - 04:23 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Artrooks

Artrooks

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2012 - 08:08 PM

Hello,

Make sure that the drive is recognized in BIOS. The drive should be recognized even if it's not formatted. If it's not seen in BIOS, it doesn't exist as far as the computer is concerned.

1.) Turn on (or restart) your computer.
2.) When the DELL™ logo appears, press <F2> immediately.

If still not seen, remove and reseat the hard drive. Make sure you didn't damage any pins. Does it "plug in" securely? Some laptop hard drives require an adapter. If yours does, it would be on your old hard drive.

If BIOS doesn't see it, chances are the drive is bad. If this is the case, you could slave it to a desktop system (using the appropriate adapter) to see if it spins and is recognized on a different system.

Regards,
Brooks

#3 richierein

richierein
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 379 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2012 - 01:10 AM

Hi Artrooks,

I didn't realize there was an adapter for the pin connections. I connected everything and ran Dell diagnostics. It failed the Short Smart Test with error code 0F00-065B (Self-test Electrical error). It passed the CONFIDENCE TEST, DEVICE QUICK CHECK, READ TEST, SEEK TEST, SMART TEST AND VERIFY TEST. What does this mean? Should I keep it or return it?

Richard Rein

Edited by hamluis, 30 April 2012 - 09:33 AM.
Removed excess blank lines - Hamluis.

#4 Artrooks

Artrooks

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2012 - 08:11 AM

Hello Richard,

Dell Diagnostics has found a problem with the drive; not good.

Error code 0F00:065D: http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/disk-drives/f/3534/p/19110625/19233611.aspx.

For a second opinion, you could run the hard drive manufacturer's diagnostics from a bootable CD.

• Download your drive's diagnostic software linked from here: http://pcsupport.about.com/od/toolsofthetrade/tp/tophddiag.htm.
  • Download the DOS version. It's always best to use the hard drive manufacturer's software.
    If you don't know the hard drive manufacturer, download Seagate for DOS as it should work for most drives.
  • The DOS "iso" file needs to be burned to CD so it is bootable. Don't know how? See here
  • Set the laptop to boot first from CDROM and restart the computer.
  • Run the Short and then the Extended test and note any reported problems.
  • A "Failed" in either the Short Test or the Extended Test would implicate a failing hard drive.
Let us know the results or any problems encountered.

Regards,
Brooks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users