Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I need help with smart response

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Mysterioustoker

Mysterioustoker

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:51 PM

Posted 29 April 2012 - 10:24 AM

So i just built a new computer and set up smart response. After SRT is enabled I reboot and get "bootmgr is missing"
Motherboard: asrock z68 extreme3 gen3
HDD: Western digital 320GB Caviar
SSD: Crucial M4 64GB

I was fairly certain I knew what i was doing when I saw smart response explained and outlined in videos. I'm going to do a quick explanation of the steps I took that led me here.

before installing windows I switched the HDD function to RAID in the BIOS. Installed Windows 7 Home premium edition with no problems. I installed all the motherboard/graphics/USB3 etc. . . drivers. Restarted and opened up the Intel rapid storage utility and set up SRT. use full 64BG for cache, cache for my boot drive, set to maximized mode. It said it was working but when I try to restart all i get is "bootmgr is missing"

In the BIOS the hard drive mode is still set to RAID. My boot drive is set as boot priority #1. when the RAID status screen shows before trying to boot into windows it says that a RAID-0 is set up. It shows the ssd as the caching device and it shows my boot drive as the accelerated drive. Everything seems to be ok except the fact that I cannot boot. I have tried these steps twice just in case the first time was a fluke or something.

Could someone please shed some light on what is going on? I'm starting to get a little frustrating as this was supposed to be an easy feature to turn on and use.

Any suggestions/information is greatly appreciated

Edited by hamluis, 29 April 2012 - 10:39 AM.
Moved from Win 7 to Internal Hardware - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,883 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:51 PM

Posted 29 April 2012 - 10:38 AM

Reference for members: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smart_Response_Technology

Moved to Internal Hardware.

Louis

#3 Mysterioustoker

Mysterioustoker
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2012 - 08:45 PM

I finally got it working correctly. For anyone else who runs across this and is having similar problems. . .
These are the steps I took.
1. Plug in ONLY the boot HDD (hard drive you want to accelerate)and set to RAID mode in the BIOS/UEFI
2. Install Windows and necessary drivers
3. Shut down and connect the SSD (caching device)
4. Once booted into windows, open Intel Rapid Storage Technology and configure SRT (Smart Response Technology)

The most important part is that you install windows on your boot (HDD) drive BEFORE connecting the SSD (caching device)

I have heard that sometimes your boot priority will change after enabling SRT so make sure to double check your boot settings.

This video does a great job of explaining the Smart Response Technology and has a good walk through to set it up after windows is installed.
tutorial starts at 4:30

Edited by Mysterioustoker, 29 April 2012 - 08:45 PM.

#4 Mysterioustoker

Mysterioustoker
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2012 - 11:02 PM

One other question. . .might be stupid, but here it is anyway.

I know I have to use the Intel Rapid Storage Technology windows utility to set up SRT (Smart Response Technology). IRST launches on windows boot, but I have to double click on the icon in the system tray for it to gain the green check mark, otherwise it says that rapid storage is not running.

I guess to put it simply, do I need the IRST untility running (with green check mark) for the ssd caching feature to be enabled and operational or does it not matter after its initially set up?

I'll post the answer if I find it

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users