Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

DVD writer fail

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 notsofast

notsofast

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:22 AM

Posted 29 April 2012 - 10:22 AM

HP DVD 1040r, Windows XP SP3. With helper online, cleared SMART HDD rootkit and sirefef variant trojans. Defogger was used in the beginning to disable CD emulation, but when going through the cleanup steps, Defogger did not recognize the drive or re-enable properly. Now the drive is not recognized by Windows. None of the following have worked:

• Uninstall and run hardware wizard
  • Update driver
  • Rollback driver
  • Troubleshooter
  • Edit registry and remove upper and lower filter values for CD GUID

Some of the error messages:
Windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware. The driver may be corrupted or missing. (Code 39)
Click Troubleshoot to start the troubleshooter for this device. <_<

I have not been able to locate legitimate drivers from Windows Update, HP or elsewhere.

Please help... :thumbup2:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,559 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:22 AM

Posted 29 April 2012 - 11:39 AM

Windows...installs the drivers for all attached optical drives.

They all use a generic driver which is part of every Windows version since Win 9x.

Louis

#3 notsofast

notsofast
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2012 - 09:15 PM

Yes, I know. As noted, uninstalling and letting Windows automatically grab the default driver fails. Thus, the message re: driver missing or corrupted (code 39). I have been down a couple of troubleshooting paths for code 39, but no improvement. I suspect a registry error, but can't prove it and don't know what to put back. Windows online 'Fix It' and similar troubleshooters aren't helping, either.

#4 InadequateInfirmity

InadequateInfirmity

I Gots Me A Certified Edumication

• Banned
  • 5,180 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2012 - 09:21 PM

Try drivermax to get the cd/dvd driver.
http://www.innovative-sol.com/drivermax/

#5 notsofast

notsofast
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2012 - 01:21 PM

Thank you, I will give that a shot tonight. <crosses fingers>

#6 Artrooks

Artrooks

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2012 - 05:44 AM

Hi,

Try InadequateInfirmity's suggestion first.

If still no luck, try this link: http://forums.driverguide.com/showthread.php?t=57778.

Try Fix #4 - A VBS script; similar to what you tried with MS Fix-it but it also removes some Service Keys that will be rebuilt.
  • Click on the link to view the script; right mouse click and "save link as..." to download the VBS file.
  • Follow the instructions.
  • As always when dealing with the Registry, create a new System Restore Point before running the script.

Regards,
Brooks

#7 notsofast

notsofast
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2012 - 09:10 AM

I did not like DriverMax's limits on download, enforced wait time, membership requirements, etc. Smelled fishy, or phishy, as the case may be. Still, it was no help with CD/DVD, just reported the drivers as up to date and no option to download or replace. While I was there, I noticed a Realtek HD Audio driver for my Gigabyte motherboard, so I went ahead and updated. Now I have a Gigabyte audio manager that pops up at random, no matter how I set it, click ok or 'X' out. There are no settings to stop the pop-up. Used Revo Uninstaller to get rid of that crapware.

Browsed Gigabyte's site for help with this specific board, hoping to see if there were better audio drivers or CD/DVD; no joy. Was redirected to a pay site similar to DriverMax, but found free download of audio driver. It turned out to be the same Realtek junk, though, so I've uninstalled it, again.

I tried Fix # 4, followed the directions to the letter and the VBS script ran just fine. However, after reboot, there is still no improvement for CD/DVD. Yellow circle, black exclamation mark. "Windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware. The driver may be corrupted or missing. (Code 39)"

I uninstalled hardware from device manager again, then copied/replaced cdrom.sys, imapi.sys and redbook.sys from backup (made to external USB drive before CD/DVD drive stopped working) to c:\windows\system32\drivers. Also copied/replaced from same backup storprop.dll to c:\windows\system32. Scanned for hardware changes, found HP 1040r, as always, but same result as before. Yellow circle, black exclamation mark. "Windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware. The driver may be corrupted or missing. (Code 39)"

I am just about ready to boot to Windows XP CD - yes, BIOS/boot recognizes it, but Windows will not - and reinstall. Blech.

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,559 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2012 - 10:00 AM

I would disconnect the drive...move it to another system...see if there are signs of life.

Is it recognized in the BIOS?

Louis

#9 Guest_Xircal_*

Guest_Xircal_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 02 May 2012 - 10:53 AM

Is the DVD drive visible in Device Manager? And if so, does it have either a red X, or a black exclamation mark inside a yellow circle to the left of it?

A red X means the device is detected, but disabled in which case you can right click it and re-enable it again, or a black exclamation mark means the device is detected, but Windows can't find a driver for it.

Also, go to Start, then Run (or hit Windows logo key + R), type msinfo32 and click OK. In the menu which appears, click "Components" to open the tree and then in the list, click "Problem Devices". This should provide some detail about what the problem might be.

This Microsoft "Fixit" may also help: http://support.microsoft.com/mats/cd_dvd_drive_problems/en-us

#10 notsofast

notsofast
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2012 - 04:09 PM

Yes, BIOS sees the drive, but Windows does not. Yellow circle with black exclamation mark. Microsoft FixIt did nothing.

#11 Guest_Xircal_*

Guest_Xircal_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 03 May 2012 - 02:37 AM

Yes, BIOS sees the drive, but Windows does not. Yellow circle with black exclamation mark. Microsoft FixIt did nothing.

In Device Manager, right click the drive with the yellow mark on it and choose "Uninstall". Confirm that you want to uninstall it and then reboot. Windows will detect the drive and should reinstall it. But have your XP installation disc ready just in case the OS tells you it cannot find the driver, but it shouldn't be necessary.

After you perform the above steps, go back to Device Manager and confirm that the drive is visible and doesn't have any marks on it.

Edited by Xircal, 03 May 2012 - 02:41 AM.

#12 notsofast

notsofast
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2012 - 07:27 AM

In Device Manager, right click the drive with the yellow mark on it and choose "Uninstall". Confirm that you want to uninstall it and then reboot. Windows will detect the drive and should reinstall it. But have your XP installation disc ready just in case the OS tells you it cannot find the driver, but it shouldn't be necessary.

After you perform the above steps, go back to Device Manager and confirm that the drive is visible and doesn't have any marks on it.

Tried that multiple times, all with same result. Some of the troubleshooting steps, like # 4 referenced above, include that, as well. No matter how it's launched, the Found New Hardware Wizard finds and identifies the drive, but then reports a 'problem with installation, your new hardware may not work properly'.

#13 notsofast

notsofast
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2012 - 08:01 AM

So, last night I booted to the XP CD and attempted to repair the Windows installation. My hope was to fix the drivers & registry for CD/DVD, audio and registry. Repair/installation stopped with 39 minutes remaining due to a missing 'asms' file. Every restart returns to the same point.

This missing asms file seems to be common issue, apparently due to a mismatch in service packs (existing installation was XP SP3, the boot CD was SP2). The fix is a bit time-consuming, so I postponed the attempt.

#14 Guest_Xircal_*

Guest_Xircal_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 03 May 2012 - 08:04 AM

Tried that multiple times, all with same result. Some of the troubleshooting steps, like # 4 referenced above, include that, as well. No matter how it's launched, the Found New Hardware Wizard finds and identifies the drive, but then reports a 'problem with installation, your new hardware may not work properly'.

Can you do the following please.

• Go to Start | Programs | Accessories | System Tools | System Restore.
  • Create a Restore Point and give it a name, something you can remember easily if need be. Close System Restore when you're done.
  • Go to Start, then Run (or if you haven't got the Run command on the Start menu, hit Windows logo key + R)
  • Type: regedit and click OK.
  • At the top of the registry editor, click "Edit", then "Find"
  • Type: NOIDE and click Find Next.
  • If a search finds a key called NOIDE in the right hand panel, right click and choose to delete it.
  • Close Regedit.
  • Reboot and then check Device Manager to see if the DVD drive has installed correctly or not.

Edited by Xircal, 03 May 2012 - 08:06 AM.

#15 notsofast

notsofast
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2012 - 02:08 PM

Can you do the following please.

Thank you for the suggestion, but no, at this time I cannot do that. Reason:

Repair/installation stopped with 39 minutes remaining due to a missing 'asms' file. Every restart returns to the same point.

When I get past this issue I will post an update.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users