Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Concern over iPhone/Gmail Privacy

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 CJoQ

CJoQ

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:05 AM

Posted 29 April 2012 - 08:36 AM

Hi everyone,

I recently noticed that I can see the notes that I write on my iPhone come up in the notes on my Gmail account - when/why/how are they linked?

Also, I logged into my LinkedIn account and noticed that my iCalendar had synced with my LinkedIn profile on my app, does that mean other people can see my schedule too? Or is it something I can see?

I'm concerned people can see my private notes and schedule. Any ideas on how to stop this or can anyone comment on whether or not it is all hidden?

Thanks,
Chris

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Cataria

Cataria

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:05 AM

Posted 05 May 2012 - 10:56 PM

Hi Chris,

Regarding the Gmail Notes, I'm messing around with my iPhone right now, and here is what I am seeing. If you go to Settings > Mail, Contacts, Calendars > then choose your Gmail account, you should see these options on what to sync: Mail, Calendars, and Notes. If you choose OFF for Notes, it will stop sending your notes to Gmail.

However, I've noticed that when I went to the Notes app > Accounts while my iPhone and Gmail Notes were connected, all my new notes were only being written to Gmail. Meaning that when I disconnected the two, all the notes I created when I had Notes enabled on my Gmail account disappeared from my phone. I'm not seeing a way to copy them over, so if you want the Gmail connection gone, it looks like you will need to rewrite them.

However, Gmail connection or not, the notes are still private, unless someone else has access to your email.

As for LinkedIn, you are referring to the Calendar Sync in the LinkedIn app, right? It doesn't share it with anyone else, it's private to you. But if you don't want the Calendar stuff to be connected in the LinkedIn app anymore, go to the LinkedIn app, press "in" in the top-left corner, then "You", then the gear in the top-right, Add Calendar, and switch the ON to OFF.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users