Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

NAS Hard Disk problems. Data recovery/file system help!!

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Syntac10

Syntac10

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:37 AM

Posted 28 April 2012 - 09:57 PM

Hi there!!

I need some assistance to determine if I have any options left. Long story short an Iomega home media network hard drive lost some data that was needed badly. Not sure if this was deleted by someone or the drive corrupted. The web gui has no recovery options and the data wasn't backed up.

Took the HDD out of the enclosure and used a SATA to USB connector to attach to a computer locally. Computer says it needs to be formatted... and wouldn't give it a drive letter. In disk manager it showed as a RAW file format, even though it's still usable when in enclosure and on network (maybe the linux os that runs it can access the raw format?)

anyway I have never recovered raw before, and I understand it isn't nice... file names are generally not recoverable. I tried a few programs like easeus data recovery and had no luck. One program saw files and recovered them by type, but each file wouldn't load and acted corrupt, like word files opened with squares for all of the content, and pictures would not open, etc.

Do I have any options? I was thinking about formatting the file system to NTFS and then trying an NTFS recovery program, but would this even work at all? or would formatting just overwrite sectors where the missing files are, and recovering wouldn't work because it's now a new filesystem?!?! I'm guessing it was raw to start with, since it still works normally... I don't think it corrupted and switched file formats.. but iomega doesn't seem to give me a hint on this anyway. no file system format info.

Help Please and thank you!!!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dyjodapa

dyjodapa

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:37 AM

Posted 28 April 2012 - 09:59 PM

Do you know how to boot into Linux?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users