Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

HD monitor not HD

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 HEL_Master

HEL_Master

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:29 PM

Posted 28 April 2012 - 02:56 PM

Hello. I am running windows xp SP3 on my new computer and have connected it to a monitor with a HDMI cable only.

I can see the screen and make this post but it is not HD.

I have went to the settings on my graphics card and changed it to HD but it still looks grainy..How do I achieve a crystal clear display?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 NpaMA

NpaMA

• Members
  • 635 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:29 PM

Posted 28 April 2012 - 03:07 PM

What resolution did you set it to?

How to change Win XP Resolution: http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/display_change_screen_resolution.mspx?mfr=true

The more you raise the resolution the more "HD" it becomes. Also, what is the make/model of the monitor? Depending on the model it may have an "auto adjust" button on it that you must press to make it "HD".

#3 HEL_Master

HEL_Master
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2012 - 06:15 PM

the resolution is 1080p but it looks so grainy and small.

Could it be anything to do with xp being 32 bit?

#4 HEL_Master

HEL_Master
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2012 - 11:43 AM

Le bump

#5 kisk

kisk

• Members
  • 339 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:29 PM

Posted 30 April 2012 - 11:59 AM

What is model of your monitor? You need to match the native resolution of the monitor with the resolution settings in Windows. Any other setting not equal to the native resolution of the LCD will look distorted.
Posted Image

#6 HEL_Master

HEL_Master
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2012 - 01:30 PM

I think it is a logix 1970dt

#7 kisk

kisk

• Members
  • 339 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2012 - 01:58 PM

I think it is a logix 1970dt

Wow that took awhile to find O.o

Finally found it on a UK store circular.

Your TV's native resolution is 1680x1060 .. match this in Windows.
Posted Image

#8 HEL_Master

HEL_Master
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2012 - 02:23 PM

Yeah its a weird model, I got it from an old lady who died.

I changed the resolution acordingly.. Windows didn't have it so i had to create it on the nvidia control panel.

It still looks really grainy.. I was trying to upload a screenshot but the internet is being a little slow at the moment.

#9 kisk

kisk

• Members
  • 339 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2012 - 06:39 PM

Yea a screenshot would be nice.

I've got a buddy that uses a TV for his monitor as well and he was never able to get it looking crisp either, even at the native resolution. Still, post the SS and we'll see what we can figure out.
Posted Image

#10 HEL_Master

HEL_Master
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2012 - 04:20 AM

Posted Image

There is a screenie. Just uploaded it from yesterday

#11 caperjac

caperjac

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:29 PM

Posted 01 May 2012 - 06:02 AM

for starters it not a hd monitor ,its a HD tv ,there is a difference .

its my experience for a hd tv or monitor to show HD the source has to be HD ,so your problem is your computers video card ,my opinion anyway ,i could be wrong

My answers are my opinion only,usually

#12 kisk

kisk

• Members
  • 339 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2012 - 07:39 AM

Honestly, a screen shot won't show me what you see. What might look grainy on your monitor might look just fine on mine. You'd have to take a physical photo of your screen with a camera and upload it for anyone to see what you see.

When you say grainy, do you mean the desktop background image, icon text, webpage text? If you mean the desktop background, then of course it would look grainy.. that "rolling hill" picture's resolution is very small compared to the resolution you're running and you have it stretched. As an example, you can right-click on your desktop, click properties. Go to the desktop background image section and change its position to "Centered". Does that clear the picture up? What you're seeing now is the intended resolution for that image.
Posted Image

#13 kisk

kisk

• Members
  • 339 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2012 - 07:46 AM

Try setting a few of these 1680x1060 images to your wallpaper and see how they look:

Click link, then right click on the picture and select 'Set as desktop background'

http://hqwallpapers.eu/wallpaper/animals_tigers_desktop_1680x1060_wallpaper-1066579.jpg
http://www.rjcorman.com/images/wallpapers/2011_calendar/2011%20Calendar%20BKG%201680x1060.jpg
Posted Image

#14 HEL_Master

HEL_Master
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2012 - 10:22 AM

it is the text that is grainy, just looks like text on an old monitor if you know what I mean. The source is hdmi and I am pretty sure its not the card since its hooked straight to it could it be the 32 bit version of xp im using? Does xp even support HD?

#15 M...

M...

• Members
  • 386 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:29 AM

Posted 01 May 2012 - 11:36 AM

Hello HEL_Master,

Maybe "ClearType" will improve things.

Click "Start" -> "Control Panel" -> "Display" -> "Appearance" (tab) -> "Effects..." (button).

1. Check the checkbox at "Use the following method to smooth edges of screen fonts:", and
2. Ensure that "ClearType" is selected from the drop-down list below the checkbox in 1. above.

Then click "OK" -> "OK".

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users