Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Power Outtage, Windows Vista doesn't start. Loops

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 LASlim

LASlim

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:55 PM

Posted 28 April 2012 - 01:09 PM

So in short, my computer is now topsy turvy. I'd just like it to go back to how it was just 3 days ago however it's now upside down. I don't know where anything is at after installing windows again, my cd did not have the repair option and everything is completly different on my computer now. Even the graphics are not how they were just a few days ago.
I got home from a concert and there must have been a power outtage in the house. Turned on the computer and it just went into a loop, got a blue screen and then a "Windows Error Recovery" screen. No matter what mode I tryed to run it in it would go back eventually to the same "Windows Error Recovery" screen where it told me to install CD and hit repaain, ir however that was not an option. Opted to just install a new version of Windows on the D drive as that is the only one that had enough space. Haven't had any computer problems in a year and now this. Any way I can get it back to how it was a few days ago or am I going to have to try and find all my files, programs and everything else I was using, put it all on an external and start from scratch? I was also using 2 diffferent browsers. One of which I don't know what it was but was definitly alot better than internet explorer. Oh yeah, now there is no sound on my computer either. I'm using Windows Vista 32. Agagin, if worse comes to worse I'd just like to find all my files, programs I was using up until this happened as well as all my favorite links that were on the other browser, don't remember the name.

Thanks,

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Artrooks

Artrooks

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:55 PM

Posted 29 April 2012 - 08:31 AM

Hi LASlim,

1.) What is your computer make and model number?
2.) Did the recovery DVD come with your computer and are there more than one disk?
3.) What is the label on the recovery disk that you used?

Installing Vista on drive D: may be a mixed blessing. Your original Vista files are probably accessible, that's good, but whatever data was on Drive D has no doubt been overwritten.

How to find your old files:
  • Double click on "My Computer" on the Desktop or "Computer" in the Start Menu.
  • Drive C: is your new installation of Vista; without your old files.
  • Look for a higher drive letter D,E,F,G, etc. that is not a CD or DVDROM drive. You should be able to find your original Vista installation.
  • Your old Documents folder would be located here: "Users\<your old username>\My Documents."
  • I recommend that you backup all important files to an external hard drive because you should alway have important data backed up.
  • Whether you then copy this data to the new Vista location or elect to re-install Vista to it's original drive is up to you.

Let us know the answers to the above questions and how you make out with your data files.

Regards,
Brooks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users