Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

dedicated video card solve problem?

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 j54ams

j54ams

• Members
  • 137 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:52 AM

Posted 28 April 2012 - 10:07 AM

I posted before about games not filling my monitor screen after reinstalling Windows 7 when they did before. HP 2310m monitor with GeForce 9100 integrated video on HP p6310f pc. Nothing has worked to solve it so was wondering if I got a dedicated video card it would solve the problem? I am looking at a GIGABYTE GV-R645D3-512I Radeon HD 6450 512MB 64-bit DDR3 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready Low Profile Ready Video Card. Does anyone know if it could get my games to display full screen again? This is really baffling since I had full screen before with just changing resolution....worked on all games!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 everready

everready

• Members
  • 124 posts
  •  

Posted 28 April 2012 - 10:58 AM

Hello j54ams,

I reviewed your pervious posting on the problem with the HP 2310 monitor. I see you never tried connecting a second pc to the monitor to check to see if the problem is with the monitor. If I were you I try that before buying a dedicated video card to correct the display problem. Just my two cents. Hope it helps.

#3 j54ams

j54ams
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 137 posts
  •  

Posted 28 April 2012 - 12:19 PM

I have the monitor connected with a DVI cable on this pc and the other pc I have only has a VGA connection. Would that have anything to do with the monitor performance?

#4 everready

everready

• Members
  • 124 posts
  •  

Posted 28 April 2012 - 01:23 PM

j54ams,

You should be able to connect two separate PC's to the monitor and view the output from one or the other by selecting either the digital (DVI) or the analog (VGA) input selection available at the monitor controls. I'm not familiar with your particular monitor so I do not know how to change the input selection exactly, but you should be able to make the selection through the monitor's buttons on the front, or through the OSD menu. Here is a link to Using and Adjusting Your Monitor

Which input are you using on the problem computer, DVI or VGA? Have you checked the connections too ensure they are secure. Additionally check that the video cables are not bent sharply or pinched. Two PC's connected at once should not be a problem, but when you test the monitor use just one PC on at a time.

Both DVI and VGA should give good results, with full screen. I see from the link I gave you above the OSD menu has a Factory Reset selection, you might want to try that if the second PC is not full screen. Also, I see a Custom Scaling under the Image Control Menu Option as well.

Let us know what you find out with the second computer attached.

Good Luck

#5 j54ams

j54ams
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 137 posts
  •  

Posted 28 April 2012 - 01:53 PM

Connected this monitor to a different pc (that pc only had vga connector)and the games opened to fill the screen as it used to on first pc. Put back on first pc an not filling screen. Did the factory reset which did nothing to help. Checked in menu under imaging and option for scaling is faded out and can't be selected. Could it be the NVIDIA drivers for GeForce 9100?

#6 InadequateInfirmity

InadequateInfirmity

I Gots Me A Certified Edumication

• Banned
  • 5,180 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:52 AM

Posted 28 April 2012 - 02:10 PM

Download driver sweeper from the link below run it and Checkmark the box next to Nvidia Graphics.Then hit the clean button.
MajorGeeks.Com - Contacting Download Site

Now please Reboot your machine and get a fresh copy of your driver from here.

http://www.nvidia.com/Download/Scan.aspx?lang=en-us
Nvidia Driver Update

http://www.geforce.com/Drivers
Nvidia G Driver Update

#7 j54ams

j54ams
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 137 posts
  •  

Posted 28 April 2012 - 02:23 PM

NVIDIA doesn't have a Graphics choice. it has Chipset, Display and PhysX. Select Display? Just don't want to do anything wrong!

#8 InadequateInfirmity

InadequateInfirmity

• Banned
  • 5,180 posts
  •  

Posted 28 April 2012 - 04:32 PM

Yes select Display.

#9 j54ams

j54ams
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 137 posts
  •  

Posted 28 April 2012 - 05:15 PM

I got an unhandled exception error.

#10 InadequateInfirmity

InadequateInfirmity

• Banned
  • 5,180 posts
  •  

Posted 28 April 2012 - 05:21 PM

Ok just go into your add remove programs and uninstall you display/graphics driver then reboot.Now go to the links that I provided and install your latest graphics driver.If either of the links I provided doesnt produce a graphiccs driver for you then use driver max.
http://www.innovative-sol.com/drivermax/

#11 j54ams

j54ams
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 137 posts
  •  

Posted 28 April 2012 - 05:29 PM

OK. don't mean to be ignorant but...I won't lose my monitor display by uninstalling drivers, will I?

#12 InadequateInfirmity

InadequateInfirmity

• Banned
  • 5,180 posts
  •  

Posted 28 April 2012 - 06:01 PM

no you will not lose the display it will look bad untill you reinstall the drivers eveything will be big.,

#13 j54ams

j54ams
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 137 posts
  •  

Posted 28 April 2012 - 06:30 PM

Got the new drivers installed and more games are filling the screen but still some that don't but more do tan don't. So, better leave well enough alone. Thanks a million!

#14 InadequateInfirmity

InadequateInfirmity

• Banned
  • 5,180 posts
  •  

Posted 28 April 2012 - 08:39 PM

Please also update your chipset driver with driver max that may also help

#15 j54ams

j54ams
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 137 posts
  •  

Posted 28 April 2012 - 11:07 PM

I did that with the driver install. The first try failed and I had to do custom install and everything basically installed. I can play the games that didn't go full screen in full screen by changing resolution so am very happy now. Again...........thanks!!!!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users