Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Looking for a decent motherboard and cpu for a budget gaming rig

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Fexcad

Fexcad

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:55 AM

Posted 28 April 2012 - 08:18 AM

Im trying to build a new gaming pc, and was looking for some suggestions on a motherboard and cpu for $150-250. I already have some pieces from a different computer that didnt work out: Radeon 6670 low profile gpu, 3 sticks of RAM, and this case (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811154094 ).

The gpu isn't great but its all I have atm. I'll be upgrading it in a few months, along with the RAM, so picking a motherboard that can handle an upgrade would be nice, as I don't particularly want to have to purchase a new mb too.

Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:55 AM

Posted 28 April 2012 - 06:49 PM

What is your budget? You can get a very high-end motherboard and CPU.

If you want to go AMD.

ASUS M5A97 AM3+ AMD 970 - If you're not using SLI/Crossfire.
ASUS Sabertooth 990FX - If you are using SLI/Crossfire.

AMD FX-4100 Zambezi 3.6GHz (3.8GHz Turbo) Socket AM3+ - A low-end quad for light gaming.
AMD FX-6100 Zambezi 3.3GHz Socket AM3+ - A midrange CPU, great for most games.
AMD FX-8120 Zambezi 3.1GHz Socket AM3+ - A high-end CPU that can handle most tasks thrown at it.

If you want to go Intel.

ASUS P8Z77-V LX LGA 1155 Intel Z77 - Decent, but with multiple GPU's, the second PCI-E X16 slot will only go at X4.
ASUS P8Z77-V LK LGA 1155 Intel Z77 - This does allow for multiple GPU's at X8/X8 speeds, which is good for all but the very high-end GPU's.

Intel Core i5-2310 Sandy Bridge 2.9GHz (3.2GHz Turbo Boost) LGA 1155 95W - This is a good CPU, fits in between a 4100 and 6100.
Intel Core i5-2500 Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz (3.7GHz Turbo Boost) - This is roughly equal to the 8120.

3939.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users