Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Motherboard RAM issue (new build)

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 David Ashcroft

David Ashcroft

• Members
  • 169 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:33 AM

Posted 28 April 2012 - 04:05 AM

Hi everyone, im new to building computer, i work in IT, however computer building isn't really my profession, but i thought i would give it a go.

So i purchased the P8B75-M LE Motherboard by Asus. I have installed all the hardware and the system is running perfectly with no issues. If you type this motherboard into Google and click on images, you will see that there are only two slots for the RAM to go into. I purchased two 4GB sticks of Kingston RAM.

The RAM sockets according to the Motherboard manual are:

Channel A - DIMM_A1
Channel B - DIMM_B1

When i put any of the sticks of RAM into Channel A (the one closest to the CPU) the computer does not start, instead i get DRAM LED light up, and nothing else. If i put RAM into both slots A and B, i get the same thing, however it flashes. I tried pressing the MEMOK button on the motherboard on both of these occasions but it didnt fix it.

If i put a 4GB stick into just Channel B, and turn the computer on, and then press the MEMOK button, it restarts and works perfectly from this point. I would ideally like to use both stick of RAM to make the computer work on 8GB of RAM.

If anyone has any advise on what i could/am doing wrong, it would be much appreciated!

Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:33 PM

Posted 28 April 2012 - 01:37 PM

From what you just said the memory is not compatible.

The proper memory would work in either slot without having to press the MemOK button.

If the memory is not past the return period than I suggest returning it and getting memory on the ASUS memory QVL list.

P8B75-M LE memory QVL
http://support.asus.com/QVL.aspx?SLanguage=en&p=1&m=P8B75-M%20LE&hashedid=hAE3jGXTUebROVRb

Good Luck
Roger

Edited by rotor123, 28 April 2012 - 01:39 PM.

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,295 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:33 PM

Posted 28 April 2012 - 03:54 PM

Just a note...that RAM (DDR2) was popular when some manufacturers produced high-density and low-density modules...which created another potential situation of incompatibility between seemingly similar mods.

Louis

#4 David Ashcroft

David Ashcroft
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 169 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:33 AM

Posted 30 April 2012 - 08:31 PM

Thanks for the responses! I have ordered the RAM that is supposedly compatible with this motherboard. When i get it, ill give it a shot and let you know how it goes, thanks again for the responses!

#5 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:33 PM

Posted 01 May 2012 - 09:36 AM

Good Luck, I hope and expect that the proper memory will solve your problem. I've been down that route with an ASUS motherboard.

Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users