Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Installing Same Windows XP on Two Computers

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Anonix

Anonix

• Members
  • 188 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:20 AM

Posted 27 April 2012 - 08:39 PM

I have two computers; one is working (an old Sony Vaio PCG-FX215) and one isn't (a newer Sony Vaio VGN-FE790p). The working computer has Windows ME for an OS, and it needs an upgrade to Windows XP. As far as I know, it meets the system requirements for an upgrade to XP. I haven't yet checked whether it meets system requirements for a fresh new install of Windows XP, but if it does, can I use the recovery CDS that came with the other (newer) computer? I realize I would have to wipe the hard drive of the old computer before installing. Or does Microsoft only allow one installation of an OS per computer? I am not asking to do anything illegal; just asking if anyone knows what the policy is. Tx for any feedback.

Edited by Anonix, 27 April 2012 - 08:47 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Platypus

Platypus

• 13,980 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:20 AM

Posted 27 April 2012 - 10:16 PM

If the Windows version is OEM (Original Equipment Manufacture) which is normally what is installed on a factory computer, then it cannot legally be transferred to another, it is only licensed for the computer it was first installed on. The COA label on the computer should include OEM in the description if the license is OEM. A retail Windows version can be deleted from one computer and transferred to another.

Another consideration is whether the install CD(s) is a full XP installation or a recovery disc keyed to the computer it belongs to. A manufacturer's recovery disc may well only work with the specific computer it was supplied with.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#3 Anonix

Anonix
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 188 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:20 AM

Posted 28 April 2012 - 11:39 PM

Thanks. I checked the label on the bottom and do not see OEM written anywhere near the product key, but I know Windows XP came pre-installed on that computer. Which means it's not transferable, based on what you say.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,400 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:20 PM

Posted 29 April 2012 - 11:57 AM

Sony Vaios that have Windows preinstalled...are, by definition, OEM systems...just as are HP, Dell, Lenovo, etc.

An installation of Windows (with valid license/key) from a purchased standalone MS Windows retail version...would not be governed by OEM rules, as such stand today.

Louis

#5 Platypus

Platypus

• 13,980 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:20 AM

Posted 30 April 2012 - 04:01 AM

Agreed, it will be OEM Windows - looking at the COA stickers on those of my computers that have OEM pre-installed, some include OEM in the description, some don't.

Top 5 things that never get done:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users