Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Startnow Toolbar won't go away

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 twinsunsify

twinsunsify

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:29 AM

Posted 27 April 2012 - 04:27 PM

I guess I accidentally downloaded the Startnow toolbar somewhere along the line (oops!). It's not doing anything malicious as far as I can tell, but I can't seem to remove the toolbar--it pops up every time I open Chrome (my default browser) or firefox. I've uninstalled the program and it's no longer listed under my programs, but still the toolbar remains. I did some internet searches on how to remove it and came across a post about using Combofix but I didn't want to install and use that without supervision. Any help or advice would be welcome. Thanks!

Edit: I am running Windows 7 64-bit.

Edited by twinsunsify, 27 April 2012 - 04:34 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TheShooter93

TheShooter93

Cody

• Malware Response Team
  • 4,792 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:29 AM

Posted 27 April 2012 - 07:19 PM

Try uninstalling it using Revo Uninstaller.

CCNA R&SCCNA Security | Network+  |  B.S. - Information Technology | Cyber Security Engineer

If I am helping you and have not replied within 48 hours, please send me a private message.

#3 twinsunsify

twinsunsify
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2012 - 09:45 PM

Thanks for your reply.

I installed and ran Revo. The only problem is, there is nothing for Revo to uninstall--StartNow is no longer listed as a program since I uninstalled it earlier today. However, when I open a new browser window the StartNow toolbar is still there.

#4 TheShooter93

TheShooter93

Cody

• Malware Response Team
  • 4,792 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2012 - 11:09 PM

Check the add-ons section of both Firefox and Chrome, see if it's listed there.

Also, right clicking some empty space at the top of the browser and removing the tick mark next to the toolbar should remove it from the browser as well.

CCNA R&SCCNA Security | Network+  |  B.S. - Information Technology | Cyber Security Engineer

If I am helping you and have not replied within 48 hours, please send me a private message.

#5 twinsunsify

twinsunsify
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 28 April 2012 - 07:56 AM

Apparently it was listed as my default homepage. Changed that and it went away! Hoping that now it will stay that way after restarting my computer. Thanks for your help!

#6 TheShooter93

TheShooter93

Cody

• Malware Response Team
  • 4,792 posts
  •  

Posted 28 April 2012 - 09:43 AM

You're welcome.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users