Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't install 3 windows update and now unable to install .netframework 2

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 im abcd

im abcd

• Members
  • 167 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:12 AM

Posted 27 April 2012 - 06:24 AM

So long story short i was continuously getting notification to install some particular updates again and again .

They were : KB2446704 , KB2418241 , KB2539631 . ( All of them are security updates for .net framework 2.0 sp2 and 3.5 sp1)

So whenever i installed them and restarted my pc they used to show up again . So today i decided to download Windows install clean up utility and uninstall and reinstall .net framework 2.0 sp2 .I uninstalled but when i tried to install it again i couldn't . It showed as a " setup error " .

Note :
Also i have an windows xp sp3 .

Edited by im abcd, 27 April 2012 - 06:25 AM.

3dsig_zpsd150d538.png

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Union_Thug

Union_Thug

Bleeps with the fishes...

• Members
  • 2,355 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:12 AM

Posted 27 April 2012 - 06:58 AM

Here's what I'd do, Caveat Emptor & all that stuff...

1. Run the FixIt in KB 971187 - How to fix MSI software update registration corruption issues http://support.microsoft.com/kb/971187
2. Retry the Update(s).
3. If the Update(s) fail(s), proceed to Step 4.
4. Download .Net Cleanup Utility: http://blogs.msdn.com/b/astebner/archive/2008/08/28/8904493.aspx
5. By using the Cleanup Tool, uninstall all .Net Framework entries. (You will not be allowed to remove the .NET Framework 2.0 on Vista and 3.5 on Windows 7 because they are Operating System components.)

6. Reboot.

7. Download and install the .Net Framework 3.5 SP1 by clicking the link below (this will also install .Net Framework 2.0 SP2 and 3.0 SP2):
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=AB99342F-5D1A-413D-8319-81DA479AB0D7&displaylang=en

8. Reboot

9. Check for & install all important/critical updates/security patches/etc (do not select any optional .Net updates yet) for .Net thru Windows Update.

Hope this helps. Posted Image

Edited by Union_Thug, 27 April 2012 - 07:03 AM.

#3 im abcd

im abcd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 167 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2012 - 07:44 AM

I have messed up even further :( . I tried using the ms fix it but it didn't went ahead of loading . So i downloaded the clean up utility and then deleted the .frameworks . After that i restarted and tried my updates .The same updates showed up again . So i thought i would try it once more .So i deleted the .net frameworks again and this time they got deleted in about few secs while before it took around 10 min . So i tried to reinstall the 3.5 and it doesn't installs .It shows as a setup error :(

Edited by im abcd, 29 April 2012 - 08:01 AM.

3dsig_zpsd150d538.png

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,887 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2012 - 08:13 AM

Post the exact error message, please...and indicate exactly at what point it appears.

Obviously...if you don't have any version of MS.NET installed, there should not be any critical updates pertaining to any version of NET...trying to install.

Louis

#5 im abcd

im abcd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 167 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2012 - 08:38 AM

Post the exact error message, please...and indicate exactly at what point it appears.

Obviously...if you don't have any version of MS.NET installed, there should not be any critical updates pertaining to any version of NET...trying to install.

Louis

The error message is just : Setup error . Yes , i shouldn't have any .net installed but the strangest part is that i am getting .net framework updates when i go to the microsoft update site .So my question is should i download them ? . But i cannot find the installation folder of .net anywhere .

3dsig_zpsd150d538.png

#6 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2012 - 10:08 AM

Maybe you don't need it. .NET Framework is not an essential program. It is only needed if another program requires it to run. Users get confused because they figure if it's a Microsoft product, they must need it. Not in this case.

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,887 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2012 - 10:17 AM

Are you referring to critical updates?

The optional updates don't matter, it's the critical updates that count regarding Windows.

If you have no version of NET installed...I repeat...you should not be getting critical updates regarding such.

You've looked in Add/Remove Programs to ensure that you don't have a version installed?

System manufacturer and model? Better yet...please Publish a Snapshot using Speccy - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic323892.html/page__p__1797792#entry1797792 .

Louis

#8 im abcd

im abcd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 167 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2012 - 11:02 AM

I see a .net framework sp1 in the add/remove programs . Its file size is 36 mb. I have tried removing it but it keeps coming back .

3dsig_zpsd150d538.png

#9 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,887 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2012 - 11:36 AM

No such thing...every SP must be connected to a given version.

Post the snapshot, please.

Louis

#10 Union_Thug

Union_Thug

• Members
  • 2,355 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2012 - 03:41 PM

@ im abcd wrote:

I tried using the ms fix it but it didn't went ahead of loading .

I don't know what this means. Please clarify.

So i downloaded the clean up utility and then deleted the .frameworks .

Please post the log it produced. You can do this by launching (double clicking) cleanup_tool.exe. and selecting the "View log" button (screenshot below)
and saving the text file it produces to your desktop. The log may be very large, so please attach it to your next reply. If you need help how to do an attachment post that request in your reply.
Posted Image

After that i restarted and tried my updates .The same updates showed up again .

It's possible, (though not likely) that the tool did not uninstall .Net or you did not select "all" in the drop-down menu, or did not press the cleanup now button as pictured above.. In any case producing the log requested would clarify things (hopefully).

So i thought i would try it once more .So i deleted the .net frameworks again and this time they got deleted in about few secs while before it took around 10 min . So i tried to reinstall the 3.5 and it doesn't installs. It shows as a setup error

Please supply the exact error message produced as already requested by Louis.

@hamluis wrote:

Are you referring to critical updates?...The optional updates don't matter, it's the critical updates that count regarding Windows...If you have no version of NET installed...I repeat...you should not be getting critical updates regarding such.

You are correct. A fresh install of XPSP3 will offer the following 2 updates (screenshot below) as "optional":

Posted Image

My instruction # 7 in my reply if followed by the OP (it's unclear if he/she did or did not) is actually the WRONG d/l --it is .Net 3.5.1 SP1,(54mb) & NOT the FULL .Net 3.5.1 SP1 Family Update offered by WSUS (69 mb) and COULD be responsible for the "setup error"---however speculating further is pointless until the exact error is supplied by the OP.

EDIT TO ADD: The "setup error" described by the OP took place before running the dotnet cleanup tool or attempting to install the update in my #7 instrux

>>>So whenever i installed them and restarted my pc they used to show up again . So today i decided to download Windows install clean up utility and uninstall and reinstall .net framework 2.0 sp2 .I uninstalled but when i tried to install it again i couldn't . It showed as a " setup error " .<<<<br style="color: rgb(28, 40, 55); font-size: 13px; line-height: 19px; background-color: rgb(250, 251, 252); ">

The issue, IMO is not with .Net itself necessarily. Corrupt installer, update agent or download in software distribution folder perhaps?

Hope this is useful. Posted Image

Edited by Union_Thug, 29 April 2012 - 11:19 PM.

#11 im abcd

im abcd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 167 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2012 - 04:37 AM

Ok well i could uninstall it properly now and reinstalled it .But the problem with the ms updates prevails , they keep coming again and again . :(

3dsig_zpsd150d538.png

#12 Union_Thug

Union_Thug

• Members
  • 2,355 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2012 - 06:38 AM

'hamluis' wrote:

'hamluis' wrote:
System manufacturer and model? Better yet...please Publish a Snapshot using Speccy - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic323892.html/page__p__1797792#entry1797792

'hamluis' wrote:

' Union_Thug' wrote:
@ im abcd wrote:

Please post the log it produced....The log may be very large, so please attach it to your next reply....

So i thought i would try it once more .So i deleted the .net frameworks again and this time they got deleted in about few secs while before it took around 10 min . So i tried to reinstall the 3.5 and it doesn't installs. It shows as a setup error

You wrote:
Ok well i could uninstall it properly now and reinstalled it .But the problem with the ms updates prevails , they keep coming again and again . :(

Please help us help YOU...

Edited by Union_Thug, 30 April 2012 - 06:39 AM.

#13 im abcd

im abcd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 167 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2012 - 07:17 AM

'hamluis' wrote:

'hamluis' wrote:
System manufacturer and model? Better yet...please Publish a Snapshot using Speccy - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic323892.html/page__p__1797792#entry1797792

'hamluis' wrote:

' Union_Thug' wrote:
@ im abcd wrote:

Please post the log it produced....The log may be very large, so please attach it to your next reply....

You wrote:

Please help us help YOU...

Um , ok i will try to answer those .
1) Error message : That doesn't really matters because it just showed as "setup error " . But i was able to completely remove .net framework and reinstall it without any errors .

2)Screen shot :
http://speccy.piriform.com/results/VLSb2b8BC3clZfJk6JhyuIu

3) I don't get your point .

4) After i reinstalled .net successfully it worked atlast and fixed some corrupt registry patches for .net framework 3.5 . But that didn't help .

5) Log : Its 1 mb so i couldn't attach it .So i have uploaded it up here :
http://textuploader.com/?p=6&id=osvQS

6)I guess this point is clarified in my " 1) " statement .

Hope that helps :)

Edited by im abcd, 30 April 2012 - 07:23 AM.

3dsig_zpsd150d538.png

#14 Union_Thug

Union_Thug

• Members
  • 2,355 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2012 - 09:15 AM

So, IOW you're back @ square one? The 3 updates that are repeatedly offered & fail to install?

Your .Net cleanup tool log is incomplete. It should end with entries/messages such as this:

[04/30/12,09:46:32] Deleting registry key 'Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\{F5B09CFD-F0B2-36AF-8DF4-1DF6B63FC7B4}'
[04/30/12,09:46:32] Found entry HKLM,Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Microsoft .NET Framework 4 Client Profile, performing action now
[04/30/12,09:46:32] Deleting registry key 'Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Microsoft .NET Framework 4 Client Profile'
[04/30/12,09:46:32] Found entry HKLM,Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Microsoft .NET Framework 4 Extended, performing action now
[04/30/12,09:46:32] Deleting registry key 'Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Microsoft .NET Framework 4 Extended'
[04/30/12,09:46:32] Section [Registry - .NET Framework 4 (Wow6432Node)] - stop parsing entries
[04/30/12,09:46:32] Cleanup succeeded for product .NET Framework 4

That may be a moot point, however:

...The issue, IMO is not with .Net itself necessarily. Corrupt installer, update agent or download in software distribution folder perhaps?

How did you uninstall/reinstall .Net? Thru Add/remove in the control panel or with the cleanup tool...or the Windows installer clean up utility (which has been retired by M$) you mentioned in your OP?

Edited by Union_Thug, 30 April 2012 - 09:16 AM.

#15 im abcd

im abcd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 167 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2012 - 11:53 AM

So, IOW you're back @ square one? The 3 updates that are repeatedly offered & fail to install?

Your .Net cleanup tool log is incomplete. It should end with entries/messages such as this:

[04/30/12,09:46:32] Deleting registry key 'Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\{F5B09CFD-F0B2-36AF-8DF4-1DF6B63FC7B4}'
[04/30/12,09:46:32] Found entry HKLM,Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Microsoft .NET Framework 4 Client Profile, performing action now
[04/30/12,09:46:32] Deleting registry key 'Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Microsoft .NET Framework 4 Client Profile'
[04/30/12,09:46:32] Found entry HKLM,Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Microsoft .NET Framework 4 Extended, performing action now
[04/30/12,09:46:32] Deleting registry key 'Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Microsoft .NET Framework 4 Extended'
[04/30/12,09:46:32] Section [Registry - .NET Framework 4 (Wow6432Node)] - stop parsing entries
[04/30/12,09:46:32] Cleanup succeeded for product .NET Framework 4

That may be a moot point, however:

...The issue, IMO is not with .Net itself necessarily. Corrupt installer, update agent or download in software distribution folder perhaps?

How did you uninstall/reinstall .Net? Thru Add/remove in the control panel or with the cleanup tool...or the Windows installer clean up utility (which has been retired by M$) you mentioned in your OP?

I used the cleanup tool and yes the three updates are repeating itself , actually it seems that there are more than three updates repeating itself .

3dsig_zpsd150d538.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users