Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Asus Mobo failing POST when out of the box

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 hagbag69

hagbag69

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:16 PM

Posted 27 April 2012 - 04:57 AM

Hi all

I've taken the components out of a working tower to make a testing rig and they are no longer booting. While they were in the case they would respond to the Power Switch, POST and allow me into the Bios ok. Now that they're out (on an insulated mat) they are powering up when I connect the power lead, PSU & CPU fans start up, there's a little click from the motherboard, and it shuts down. The power button then does nothing.
This is the setup:
Asus A7V600-X Motherboard,
AMD Athlon XP 2800+ processor + FHS
Powertronics 400W PSU (20 pin)
256MB 333MHz DDR RAM
Nvidia MX4000 128MB AGP graphics card (I think!)
Power button plugged in, or shorting the connection with a screwdriver - doesn't make a difference

I've removed all the components one by one to isolate the problem, and it's still failing the POST. I've reset the CMOS using the jumper as described on Asus' website's troubleshooting for this model mobo. I can only think there's an out-of-case failsafe built in, or something glaringly obvious that I'm missing.

Any advice appreciated
Cheers
Stu

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,727 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:16 AM

Posted 28 April 2012 - 11:24 AM

<<While they were in the case they would respond to the Power Switch, POST and allow me into the Bios ok.>>

Since you did not indicate just what time period this refers to...do the components POST if you put them back in a case?

If you remove the RAM...does it post in either situation?

Try a different PSU?

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users