Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Somebody Save Me!

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Wiley1

Wiley1

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:50 AM

Posted 24 February 2006 - 06:13 PM

I'm new to BleepingComputer, I just joined last night after a coworker referred me for help. On Tuesday Feb. 21st my computer was hit with a virus or a hacker. I don't even know how to tell what I got hit with. I used my computer early in the afternoon and was on the internet with no problems. When I turned my computer on just five hours later everything was screwed up. My wallpaper had been restored to the default setting, I had a ton of icons on my desktop that weren't there before and none of my Microsoft Office tools are working. The icons for Word, Excel, and Powerpoint are on the desktop, but when I click on them I get the following message, "This action is only valid for products that are currently installed." My internet explorer had also been reset and I had to go through the Internet Connection Wizard to get back onto the net.

I have tried following the steps in the Preparation Guide, but I've run into a roadblock there too. I downloaded Ad-Aware using the link provided, but I can't get the file to unzip so that I can actually use it. I already have Spybot-Search and Destroy and I have run it several times, but it hasn't been updated in a while so I don't know how effective it is.

The coworker that referred me is a Systems Security Technician, and has given me some ideas on things to try, but so far I'm not having any luck fixing this thing on my own. I have tried a system restore and the computer won't even do that. Any help that you guys can provide will be greatly appreciated. I have to go out of town until Sunday afternoon, so I won't be able to respond to any postings until then.

By the way, I have Windows ME if that is important. I look forward to a bright virus-free future...I hope.
Thanks,
Wiley1

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,263 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:50 AM

Posted 24 February 2006 - 08:55 PM

Sounds like you have several malware infections. I suggest you read and follow all instructions in the pinned topic titled Preparation Guide For Use Before Posting A Hijackthis Log.

When you have done that, post a log in the HijackThis Logs and Analysis Forum, not here, for assistance by the HJT Team Experts.

It may take a while to get a response because the HJT Team members are very busy. Please be patient as they are volunteers who will help you out as soon as possible. Once you have made your post please DO NOT make another reply until it has been responded to by a member of the HJT Team. Generally the staff checks the forum for postings that have not been replied as this makes it easier for them to identify those who have not been helped.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 Wiley1

Wiley1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2006 - 09:33 PM

I've been trying to follow the preparation guide, however I cannot get Ad-Aware to download properly. I've tried the link in the guide as well as going through Google and straight to Lavasoft. I just can't seem to get it to work. I've gotten Spybot updated, but there are a LOT of files that I saw scroll through during the Spybot check that should not be there, yet it didn't get rid of any of them.

Does anyone have any advice regarding the Ad-Aware download? Should I skip that part and proceed with the rest of the preparation guide?

#4 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2006 - 09:42 PM

Download Ultimate Boot CD and run the antispyware and antivirus incorporated into the CD.

F-Prot Antivirus for DOS (Personal use only)
Virus definition: 9 Feb 2006 3.16b
McAfee Antivirus Scanner
Virus definition: 9 Feb 2006 4.32.0
Avast! V7.7 for DOS
Virus definition: 9 Feb 2006 7.7
AVG Free Edition
Virus definition: 9 Feb 2006 7.0

This may have better results.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#5 THUGLIFE-

THUGLIFE-

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:50 AM

Posted 28 February 2006 - 04:11 AM

Because you seem desperate to really get some of this stuff gone fast I suggest going to this site and downloading this program:

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

I have had huge success with it. Even though some suggest that you should have all the updates already up to date for each anti-spyware it uses on your pc, I say in your case with such severe problems use this now. I am certain you will have some success.

Mod edit: The Hitman Pro download link was removed.
We do not recommend this program, as it is using some others' programs, without the authors' consent.

Edited by tg1911, 28 February 2006 - 09:30 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users