Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop boots, screen loads but turns grey

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 BAD311

BAD311

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:12 AM

Posted 27 April 2012 - 02:10 AM

A customer brought in a HP laptop where in his possession the laptop powers on, screen turns on, but goes grey. You can hear the HDD spin up and the CPU fan work, etc... I pulled the battery, disconnected power, held down the POWER button for a good 30 seconds, put the battery back into the laptop, swapped out his power adapter/charger for a brand new HP/Compaq unit and turned the machine on. I successfully loaded into the Windows user login screen. I restarted and entered into BIOS. I reset the BIOS. I left the machine on all night and it worked flawlessly. The customers power adapter was broken open so I recommended we dispose of it and give him a new one. We did. He took it home and the next day calls up and says he is having the grey screen issue again. I tell him to bring it back to me. I reset the laptop by removing the battery/charger. Reconnected everything and I successfully loaded up into the Windows user login screen. Customer will not provide me with password to access his desktop, so I really can't do any further testing.

I do know the battery does not hold charge. I cannot replicate his problem whatsoever. I'm at a breaking point.

Research I've done indicated adjusting the CPU performance from adjustable to 100% in the power saving options in Windows 7 and that solves the issue. Is this a option? Is the screen issue we're having hardware or software related? How can I rule out hardware? Could it be a failing inverter? Again I cannot replicate his issue but he can the second he gets it back and hooked up at his place?

*puzzled*

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:12 AM

Posted 27 April 2012 - 01:24 PM

Failing Inverter = No since bad inverter no backlight, gray screen means backlight working.

When it comes in is it showing a gray screen?
Have you hooked it up to a external monitor before pulling the battery and AC to see if it is screen related or motherboard / Video card related?

It could be some USB device they plug in at home.

It could be they hook it up to a external display?

I would suggest data backup while it can be made to work.

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#3 tingtongdingdong

tingtongdingdong

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2012 - 01:39 PM

Yes, when he brings it in it's gray screen. I pull batt/charger cable, reset and everything works just fine.

I'll call and ask if they plug it into an external or plug in USB devices. He did bring me a power adapter that was cracked open that he 'tested' to see if there was an issue with the adapter.

#4 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2012 - 02:02 PM

Try the other tests.

Leave it all night in the same manner the customer uses it.
If the shut down and then turn on again try that.
If the sleep / suspend it or turn off only the screen, try that.
If they always shut the lid and open it to a gray screen try that.

Either they are hooking it up top something causing the problem or the way they operate it is a clue.

I once sold a computer system and it always worked fine in the shop. They'd take it home and no display. finally we had them bring in everything. Problem solved, One AC cord was defective from new.

Another one,the scanner always worked in the shop and never at home. We finally swapped SCSI cards and case solved. Something in taking it up the hill to his house killed the SCSI card up there.

If they can have them bring everything they use with it and have them set it up. Then have them go through their normal routine. That may give a clue.

Good Luck
Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users