Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Problem with Dual Monitors

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight

The Magician

• Security Colleague
  • 661 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:45 AM

Posted 27 April 2012 - 01:53 AM

Hey guys! :)

Earlier this year I installed a NVIDIA GeForce GT 240 graphics card into my Desktop computer (running Win 7, 8GB RAM, 64-Bit, AMD A4-300 APU Radeon Processor 2.7 GHz).

I hooked up a CMV 946D monitor to the DVI connection on my graphics card and an AOC 193FW+ monitor to the VGA connection on my graphics card.

I proceeded to then update to the latest graphics card driver, and the monitors for about a month worked fine. Then, about 4 weeks ago, the monitor on the DVI connection stopped showing a picture. I swapped it to the VGA connection, and it worked fine. I then replugged the AOC monitor into the DVI connection, but no picture.

If I plug one monitor into the VGA slot on my graphics card and the other into the VGA slot on my computer's card, the one on the graphics card shows a picture but the one on the computer doesn't, although the computer recognises there is 2 monitors. If they are both plugged into the graphics card the computer only recognises the one plugged into the VGA slot.

I have tried uninstalling the graphics card and reinstalling, as well as reinstalling the update, but no successes. I have tried different cords but again no success. I also have used System Restore to go back to before the monitrs stopped working but again nothing changes.

Just wondering if anyone has any ideas as to why this might be happening/what I could do?

If you make yourself more than just a man, if you devote yourself to an ideal...you become something else entirely. A legend, Mr. Wayne, a legend!

If I have helped you please consider donating to the Neuroscience Research Institute.

Posted Image
Posted Image

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:45 AM

Posted 01 May 2012 - 12:39 AM

http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=172122&view=findpost&p=1076863
If this is not your post, then it seems to be a problem that has been seen earlier - - -

Read the NVIDIA forum post and tell us if this relates to your problem -

Thank You -

#3 The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight

The Magician

• Topic Starter

• Security Colleague
  • 661 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2012 - 05:55 AM

Hey noknojon. :)

That is similar to my problem however not quite the same. The reason that mine is different is because it sometimes works on the DVI port, so replacing the graphics card seems like a waste of money, especially considering it is brand new and has only been used for a couple of months.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated, unless you think I should try NVIDIA? The reason I came here was because I was unsure if it was NVIDIA or Windows related. :)

Edited by The Dark Knight, 01 May 2012 - 05:56 AM.

If you make yourself more than just a man, if you devote yourself to an ideal...you become something else entirely. A legend, Mr. Wayne, a legend!

If I have helped you please consider donating to the Neuroscience Research Institute.

Posted Image
Posted Image

#4 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,094 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:45 AM

Posted 01 May 2012 - 11:57 AM

so replacing the graphics card seems like a waste of money, especially considering it is brand new and has only been used for a couple of months.

Time to work through the Warranty Process. The card makers Tech support should be able to determine if they need to replace the card under warranty.

I doubt it being a windows problem, simply because it comes and goes. It could be as simple as a manufacturing defect with a bad solder joint that works or doesn't work as the cable shifts slightly. Warranty Process.

The other possible cause is a defective DVI cable since you say both monitors have problems on DVI, Have you tried substituting it?

Good Luck
Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#5 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2012 - 01:30 AM

I'm running dual monitor myself and i had a similar problem like yours but with an AMD GPU and it turned out as defective DVI cable as Rotor has mentioned. It's quicker and easier to replace the DVI cable then going through the RMA process.

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

#6 The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight

The Magician

• Topic Starter

• Security Colleague
  • 661 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2013 - 06:48 AM

Turns out it was just a dodgy update from NVIDIA. All good now. I know this is late but thank you for the input. Very helpful regardless. :)

Posted Image
Posted Image

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,560 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:45 AM

Posted 08 January 2013 - 11:31 AM

Closure feedback is always appreciated...happy computing :).

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users