Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Desktop keeps restarting just after bios prompt

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Hamsters

Hamsters

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:08 PM

Posted 27 April 2012 - 12:50 AM

I normally leave my desktop computer on overnight (it's running Windows 7), so I wasn't able to see the state of the machine when the problem started. When I got up this morning and went to my computer I found it in a perpetual state of rebooting.

It would boot as far as the pale blue ASUS bios prompt screen (which, oddly enough, was a different boot up screen than I was used to seeing) and then it would go to a couple different black screens with some text (too fast to read it all) and then reboot about a second or two later. I have no idea how long the process could have been looping before I found it this morning (at worst, eight hours, just after I went to bed).

I didn't have time to fiddle with the machine before running to work, so I powered down by holding down the power button and then turned off the power strip my computer is connected to.

When I got home I turned the power back on and got the same blue screen from this morning. I went into the bios to see if there was anything outright unusual about it. I'm not that tech savvy, but I figured if there was something obviously wrong like not recognizing the hard disk I'd at least be able to notice that. I was in the bios for maybe a minute at most before the computer again rebooted and returned to its rebooting loop.

After playing with the machine, it seems that if I have a cold boot I have longer amount of time to tinker in the bios than one of the reboots. There's not enough time to actually enter the bios and do anything if I try on a reboot.

While on one of my attempts to spend any amount of time in the bios, I saw that if I was too late hitting the DEL key on the blue bios prompt screen, then I would eventually end up at a black screen with a few lines of text, one of which said to enter the bios and restore default settings, or something like that. Due to the continual rebooting and having less time when not on a fresh boot, the wording might be a little off.

I do not know how to restore my default bios settings, and once I do get in the bios, assuming it's from a cold start I'm only going to have a minute at best to figure out where everything is.

Any idea what might have caused this? Will anything bad happen if I restore default settings? Where would I expect to find them in the bios?

I'm not sure if it's a related issue at all, but because of the extra time on a cold boot I did check if the fans are working inside my computer and they appear to be. It was a little dusty inside so I used one of those pressurized air cans to spray the dust out of it, but the problem didn't go away.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,094 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:08 PM

Posted 27 April 2012 - 05:41 PM

Hi, If it is rebooting when in the BIOS then it is a hardware problem.

There are a couple of things you can try. With the side off and the computer powered off try taking out all but one memory. Test. If it still reboots in the bios, power down and pull that memory, set aside and insert the next one, test.

If at some point in this process it starts working then you have found a bad memory.

I know you mentioned the fans, however what about the video card fan? It will be on the bottom.

If you have a spare power supply try that too.

Bad memory or a bad power supply can cause this sort of problem. There are other things too, However lets try the easy ones first.

Good Luck
Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users