Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

My Ivy Bridge Build

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Simman

Simman

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:42 PM

Posted 26 April 2012 - 11:03 PM

Hello Everyone!

I've bought all but the CPU and the GFXcard (damn 680s are gone after 5 minutes of being restocked!) and I
was wondering about everyone's opinions.

This will be my first Personal build (and I've tried to go with quality parts...this is where your opinions kick in), but I've setup quite a few pc's for friends, so I don't consider myself a total
novice...but there's always more to learn.

Mobo:
ASUS Maximus V Gene z77

Case:
NZXT Phantom 410
I love this case and will hate you for mocking it

Storage:
Main Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB
Boot Drive:OCZ Agility 3 (Almost $1 per 1GB!)

Memory:
G.SKILL Ripjaws X
Yes its 16gb, but I will be running a RAMDisk so please don't get mad :(

PSU:
Corsair TX750
Should have enough amps for SLi'd 680s

CPU Heatsink:
CM Hyper 212
I know I probably coulda done better here, sorry..but everything was pushing my budget! Besides...
I hear its quite good :)

I will be dropping in the Ivy Bridge i5 3570k into a putting a slight overclock (just 4.0 or 4.2..I know about the
heat issues reported already so maybe someday I'll go with a custom water loop, but atm No thanks).

I will also be doing an SLI setup when I need to, but I don't see this for at least another year or so..the 680
seems to be quite a nice card and I'd rather not go bankrupt.

I have also purchased extra fans for the case and a keyboard (old stock HP is ew now) but these are irrelevant.

Edited by Simman, 26 April 2012 - 11:04 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:42 AM

Posted 27 April 2012 - 10:47 AM

I wouldn't use a m-atx board for running multi-gpu or use a mid-atx due to it being a crammer which means less airflow. You might encounter high temperatures if you overclock above 4GHz depending if you have increased the voltage.

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

#3 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2012 - 05:48 PM

If you are going to be doing multi-GPU, especially with the GTX 680, you may want to get a full ATX case due to thermal and spacing issues.

3939.png

#4 Simman

Simman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2012 - 06:08 PM

I guess I'll be getting its big brother down the road then (I won't be going SLi for another 2 years probably...by then I'm sure the cards will be a decent bit cheaper.)

Thanks for the replies. Maybe I'll get a water cooling loop down the road too...the case should be able to fit a dual 120 rad up top I believe.

#5 Simman

Simman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2012 - 06:27 PM

Small update, managed to actually get my hands on an EVGA gtx 680...so that's out of the way..just need to snap that proc and everything will be put together :)

#6 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 28 April 2012 - 01:49 PM

Hi, That isn't the SSD model or size I would have went with for a boot drive.

Did you notice that in the user reviews it got only 55% 5eggs?

I would also suggest you go to 120Gb to 160Gb. for the boot drive. It seems as if you plan to game and I suspect a larger drive to hold the game(s) could be beneficial.

I'm running mostly Intel SSDs and 2 Samsung SSDs.

However if you already have the OCZ SSD then make sure it has the latest firmware as the older firmwares have caused problems.

Arctic Silver thermal Compound?

Good Luck on your build
Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users