Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Persistent Install Question

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 mrfingerz

mrfingerz

• Members
  • 228 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:17 PM

Posted 26 April 2012 - 09:19 PM

Hello

I've done a persistent install on a usb with Universal USB Installer. Hadn't done this before and I just wondered if it's ok to run updates? I assume upgrade isn't ok.

Cheers
It's nice to be important, it's much more important to be nice.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 stiltskin

stiltskin

• Members
  • 238 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:17 AM

Posted 26 April 2012 - 09:35 PM

Updates should be fine, at least to a point.

Whatever is the installed base is fixed in size. Anything you add or change will go into the persistent storage area. As long as the updates aren't too large or the storage area too small, everything should work OK. But continuing updates end up taking up a lot of room over time.

The first set of updates will go exclusively into the persistent area of the drive. There's no way around that. Subesequent ones will replace those as they happen.

You didn't say what you installed, so I don't know if this will apply. But if the version you installed uses apt/Synaptic, I'd pull up Synaptic, open Settings -> Preferences, choose the Files tab and select Delete downloaded packages after installation. That should minimize space needed for storage of updates.

I'd also go through everything that's installed and uninstall whatever I really didn't need. As I said, those packages will never be removed from the base filesystem. But your persistent area will identify them as not being available. That way they won't get updates that take up space.

#3 mrfingerz

mrfingerz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 228 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:17 PM

Posted 26 April 2012 - 10:06 PM

Thanks for your reply Stiltskin and thanks for the information as well. The install is Zorin lite, which I've been pleasantly surprised with, which uses Synaptic, so hopefully all should be cool.

Thanks again :)
It's nice to be important, it's much more important to be nice.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users