Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Whats the value of this computer?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 justcheckingin

justcheckingin

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:20 PM

Posted 26 April 2012 - 06:46 PM

I'm a college student with a lack of money to spend on a computer but my laptop just died on me and I need a new one for computer classes.

I would obviously prefer an i7 but I can't find one for a decent price.

How much would you spend on this setup? (used)

Dell XPS 15 i5 8Gb Ram 500Gb

Specs:
Intel Core i5 M460 2.53
8GB DDR3 RAM
500Gb Hard drive
Windows 7 home premium 64bit
Nvidia GeForce GT 420M 1Gb AND Integrated Intel graphics for battery saving
15.6" wide screen 720p
JBL 2.0 Speaker with integrated subwoofer on the bottom
Webcam 2.0 megapixel and does HD video
DVD writer
EXTENDED 9 cell battery ~6 hours of battery life
BACKLIT keyboard

Or for anywhere between $300-700 could I build a better one? If so, what should I look for?

Things I typically use my laptop for would be: programming, photo editing, surfing the web, watching movies, listening to music, and occasionally video editing.

Mod EDIT: moved down one forum to Questions and advice for Buying a New Computer ~~ boopme

Edited by boopme, 27 April 2012 - 07:28 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 justcheckingin

justcheckingin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2012 - 11:28 AM

Is anyone able approximate the worth of the laptop?

#3 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:20 PM

Posted 01 May 2012 - 04:53 PM

I might go up to $200 for it if it were really clean. That in part would be because I have no need of the fancier video which could also mean it was run hot during gaming. The next thing I'd be doing would be to pull the hard drive and install it into a external case an d install a SSD as the Boot drive. 120Gb or 160Gb.

Keeping in mind that I'd want to wipe and reload it just to be safe.

Keep in mind that a lower level New laptop can be had well under $400 with warranty as New.

Also one of the first things to go is the battery so the first thing I'd expect to spend money on would be a new battery.

Edited by rotor123, 01 May 2012 - 04:54 PM.

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,127 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2012 - 10:55 AM

FWIW: I would be reluctant to buy a used laptop...lack of warranty, unknown system condition, unknown problems, inability to work on myself...would deter me and compel me to buy new.

Even if you went refurb...the warranty is minimal (probably 3 months), even though the unknown may be eliminated (at least for 90 days).

I'd take a look at what I need as the most important factor...rather than what I can get that might...do the job.

Seem to be a ton of laptops for sale in my TigerDirect ads which I receive daily.

Although it may be possible to build a laptop...you don't want to ever go that route, IMO. Unless you are quite adept at maintaining/trouble-shooting system/computer problems...it's wise to know that someone reliable is on the hook to do such, for at least a year.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users