Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

My Computer Has Lots Of Adware Cookies And Starts Up Slower Than Christmas.

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 enchantingsylph

enchantingsylph

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:07 AM

Posted 24 February 2006 - 04:28 PM

I had alcan a and b. There was also a trojan removed that was simply called a trojan by symantec. I manually removed all the alcan junk. Now I use adaware periodically and it is forever finding tracking cookies to places that I have not been. Tribalfusion, faskclick, zedo, doubleclick, adrevolver, and alot of those horrible ones. I am wondering where they keep coming from for starters. I am thinking there must be a program on my computer or something because they just keep happening over and over. I have zone alarm up now because I was getting so paranoid and insane. So my computer has been taking forever to boot up and I do not know what is going on or if a million startup processes are unneeded. I am pretty smart with computers but security and all of this are not my forte'. I have also had registry keys editted and such. I am ready to hunt people down and kill them personally. I have hijack this, ewido, symantec corporate, zone alarm, and quite a few little tools. I can make logfiles for you to go over all day. If anyone can find what is inside my computer. I just dont know what to look for. HELP ME, I beg of you!! It is kinda dire at this point to get my performance back up so that i dont want to throw the computer. Oh yeah its a laptop... Im not superman.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2006 - 06:54 PM

Tracking cookies (third party) from the likes of fastclick are found on many sites you visit, even those you might think are above such things. Use Ad-AwareSE or Spybot periodically and clean them off your hard drive. Consider also changing your browser's setting to "always ask before accepting cookies," or whatever it calls it.

If you have Spybot on your computer, use its start-up tool to compare what is listed with the BC Startup Database. The latter will tell you if the application is needed, optional, or should be killed.

Perform a little routine maintenance by deleting or moving old files, vacation pictures, games you don't play, saving what you want to disk, and then using MS disk cleanup; you can then run checkdisk/scandisk and defrag in safe mode.
Regards,
John

Edited by jgweed, 24 February 2006 - 06:55 PM.

Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#3 enchantingsylph

enchantingsylph
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2006 - 12:39 AM

Ok so I told the computer to alert me about cookies. But while I am cruising myspace.com a cookie alert comes in from casalmedia.com and says they are trying to put cookies on my computer. Is it normal for that to pop up like that from another website altogether? Also I got one from paypal but I am nowhere near a paypal site on the computer right now. It is really freaking me out... can I learn a bunch of technical stuff on cookies somewhere?

#4 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2006 - 11:18 AM

Imagine that! A third party wants to put a cookie on your computer.

Unless the cookie originates from the site itself, chances are that it is a tracking cookie or put there for illegitimate purposes. Unless one has one's browser set to warn about cookies, they are just placed there without the user's knowledge.
My own opinion is that adware-cookies are probably the least of an user's problems, and running Ad-aware or Spybot every week will eliminate the bad cookies.

Here are several good places to learn more about internet cookies:

http://www.howstuffworks.com/cookie.htm

http://www.webopedia.com/DidYouKnow/Intern...002/Cookies.asp

http://www.cookiecentral.com/

Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#5 enchantingsylph

enchantingsylph
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2006 - 03:27 AM

Thanks Im a geek and like to learn how everything works. Now those items make sense where it says first party and third party cookies...wondered why they skipped number two! ;) So now I know and knowing is half the battle, G.I. Joe. I figured all those cookies were coming from some of that adware crap that was on my computer but it seems to all be gone now, I think....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users