Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cannot retrieve data from external hdd

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 cwalt54

cwalt54

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:42 AM

Posted 26 April 2012 - 04:24 PM

Driver installation Window says my USB Composite Device is ready to use but does not show up in disk management.The lights blink like it is working but I have tried everything I know. Can someone please give me some tips to try and retrieve my data.

Edit: Moved topic from Windows 7 to the more appropriate forum. ~ Animal

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,385 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:42 AM

Posted 27 April 2012 - 10:13 AM

First thing I would try...go into Device Manager, delete all "controller" items under USB, then reboot.

If no joy, then...

If the drive is in an enclosure (it is, if it's external)...I would remove the drive from the enclosure.

I would then attach the drive direcctly to the motherboard...to find out if the drive is the problem...or if the enclosure is the problem.

If the drive shows up in Disk Management when attached directly, I would then run the appropriate diagnostic on it.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users