Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Internet Explorer 9 crashing

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 jenjen69

jenjen69

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:56 PM

Posted 26 April 2012 - 04:13 PM

Hello everyone my name is Jen and I live in Fort Wayne, Indiana. I am having major issues with IE 9 crashing. When I am on Facebook, MyItLab, MyAccountingLab. and Blackboard ( on colleges website) I will get an error message that says Internet Explorer 9 has stopped working. Then I get another message box that says something with this website has caused IE 9 to stop working. It searchs for the error and then I have no choice but to click the little button that says close program. It then reloads the page and anything I was doing is usually erased. For example if I am in the middle of doing a homework problem or in the middle of a test question, when the page reloads it will either show I did half the problem or did not answer the question at all or in correctly. I would really appreciate anyones advice or expertise on how to solve the issue. I did call Microsoft and that did no good. So please please help. This is affecting my good grades. My instructors thinking I am doing poorly. I have tests I need to take but I am afraid to even start them for fear that it will crash and then it looks like I flunked. Thanks in advance everyone.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:56 AM

Posted 26 April 2012 - 06:16 PM

Internet Explorer 9 crashing

Hello Jen -
Do you mean a total freeze, and you can do Nothing, or is the internet just pausing / stopping but you can do other things ??(E.G. Other programs still work)
This is very important, as you may be able to save the work and then re-open your browser again -
Also as an extra, do you have another browser installed (Firefox, Opera, ORCA, Safari, and heaps more) ...........(I always have at least 2 installed)

Thanks -

#3 jenjen69

jenjen69
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 26 April 2012 - 07:43 PM

Thank you for the reply. It just stops working. Like for an example if I am on Facebook looking at one of my friends pictures or if I am in the middle of take a test or working on a homework problem it basically just stops in its place. The open window tab at the top with blink yellow and a window will pop up and say Internet Explorer has stopped working. That box will go away and a new one pops up and says a problem with this page has caused Internet Explorer to stop working and its checking for the problem. At the bottome of that little window there is a tab/button that says close program. When you click that it reloads the whatever page you were on. It is kind of like when you lose internet connection but I dont actually disconnect from the internet just the page I was on. The internet still works. I also find it kind of weird that my husband doesnt have this issue nor does anyone else I know. As for having anything browsers, no I do not have any. About 2 weeks ago I did install Google Chrome and decided maybe that was the best solution to my problem, however I found out very quickly that 2 of the websites that I use for school does not support any other browsers than Internet Explorer. I even verified that today with the website techincal staff. So basically if I want to do my homework and tests I have no choice but to use IE. I guess the part that confuses me about this whole situation is I have been using IE 9 since April of 2011 and never had any issues up until about a month ago. The 2 websites I was referring to above I have used before and started using them in August of 2011. It seems to just happen when I am on Facebook, MyITlab, My AccountingLab and Blackboard ( which is on my colleges website and is used by many schools.) Other than those 4 I have no issues visiting other sites.

#4 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2012 - 04:50 AM

Hi -
From the list you give, there is only one that you can actually do without, on this computer - Facebook - You need the school first -
I know that you will not agree, but can you use your cell phone (iPhone etc.) for Facebook, just while this is a problem ??
Many computers have problems on F/book, and often I have deleted the account off a problem unit, and told users to only use it on another computer.

Totally Uninstall Chrome and try to install Firefox as your spare browser (I never use it, but most others do).
Once you uninstall Facebook first, and then Chrome, see if there is any improvement at all after these.

If not, Please download MiniToolBox, save it to your desktop and run it.

Checkmark the following boxes:
•Flush DNS
•Report IE Proxy Settings
•Reset IE Proxy Settings
•Report FF Proxy Settings
•Reset FF Proxy Settings
•List content of Hosts
•List IP configuration
•List last 10 Event Viewer log
•List Installed Programs
•List Users, Partitions and Memory size.
•List Minidump Files

Click Go, and post the result (Result.txt). A copy of Result.txt will be saved in the same directory the tool is run.

Note: When using "Reset FF Proxy Settings" option Firefox should be closed.

Thank You -

#5 jenjen69

jenjen69
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2012 - 10:17 AM

Thanks for the reply again. Its funny you mention the Facebook thing. When I was on the phone with Microsoft yesterday I asked that very question " Could Facebook be causing the problem." The tech person did not even answer me. I hope this does not sound snotty cause clearly I am not a computer whiz but I have said over over what is the common factor between them. It seems to me like there would have to be a common factor, since really only affects those sites I mentioned. For some reason I kept coming back to the same place ( Facebook). So to update you on what I am trying as a test to see if the issue is fixed I have disabled all add-ons except from Adobe and Microsoft and I am going to start logging out of Facebook when I am working on my work. Just to clarify I do not always have my FB page up, I just dont log out. Hopefully that made sense. Later today we are going to give it a test drive to see what happens. So far I have not been having issues. I have my fingers crossed. Also I do agree with you about FB. I do not need it. The only reason I am keeping on my pc at this point in time is because I use it for people to contact me. Sadly due to finance my cell is about to be shut off otherwise I would be more than happy to just use it on my cell.

Edited by jenjen69, 27 April 2012 - 10:22 AM.

#6 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2012 - 05:55 PM

Just to clarify I do not always have my FB page up, I just dont log out.

Hi Jen -
One of the first things people should do is Always "Log Out" when finished on F/book - Click the \/ Menu on the Right side and click Log Out -
If you are having any problems, make sure that computer is never Logged In to your F/book account.
Next option is to fully remove it from That computer.

Also I visited the other sites you mentioned, and I had no problems after 10 or 15 mins on each site -
I assume you will not have a problem if you can ?? borrow another laptop for a while ??
(Thanks for your updates) -

Hope this helps -
EDIT for spelling -

Edited by noknojon, 27 April 2012 - 05:59 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users