Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

the whole dns hi-jacker/fbi fix

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 mcc-tech

mcc-tech

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:51 AM

Posted 26 April 2012 - 03:33 PM

There is a topic in the news category about the dns hi jacker that the fbi has been warning about. it says to do this to fix but what I read it says the fix is to take it to a "professional" as there is no fix for it... The problem is I have a friend who thinks she has this problem and she is too chicken to go to any of the sites and wants me to take care of it. Again like I said everything I've read on it is a little scetchy and I don't want to get in the middle of something that's over my head.... i would assume a computer wipe and reload would take care of it but she would rather not have to go that far and quite frankly I'd rather not have to try and reset up all of her stuff... I have done computer stuff before but don't have a ton of experience with this type of stuff and I haven't been into computers much for several years and am behind the times.... any suggestions or any information on this situation would be appreciated... thank you

--- edit---
I know my name says tech... but I work on video games....as in arcade stuff... not much of this kind of stuff in that arena.

Edited by mcc-tech, 26 April 2012 - 03:35 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jburd1800

jburd1800

• Members
  • 565 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:51 AM

Posted 26 April 2012 - 04:10 PM

Did she run the online scan that was provided?

“May the sun bring you new energy by day, may the moon softly restore you by night, may the rain wash away your worries, may the breeze blow new strength into your being, may you walk gently thorugh the world and know it's beauty all the days of your life.”

#3 mcc-tech

mcc-tech
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 26 April 2012 - 04:32 PM

not sure but the one I ran on my fine from the one article it just said, "you seem to be resolving dns properly so you are probably not infected" if it says that it's just gonna flip her out. i was hoping to find out as much as I can about removing or fixing as I can as what I read it says there is no fix other than to take it to a professional... I plan on running it on hers when I get a chance, probably this weekend. I was just hoping to know what to do if she is infected... her anti-virus had been disabled...a friend put Clamwinav on it and that seems to still be working.... she had avg paid version then tried norton and both of them shut off and wouldn't update

#4 jburd1800

jburd1800

• Members
  • 565 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:51 AM

Posted 26 April 2012 - 04:51 PM

http://www.dcwg.org/ has the scan tool, and a link to the removal. I'm guessing she may have a virus issue but probably not the dns. I'd get on her computer and post back here so that the BC gurus can do their thing...

“May the sun bring you new energy by day, may the moon softly restore you by night, may the rain wash away your worries, may the breeze blow new strength into your being, may you walk gently thorugh the world and know it's beauty all the days of your life.”

#5 mcc-tech

mcc-tech
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 26 April 2012 - 05:05 PM

yeah thanks. Went through that once with her computer not too long ago... but she got hit again last month or early this month I think... Hopefully I can give it a go on saturday...

#6 mcc-tech

mcc-tech
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 28 April 2012 - 07:35 PM

ok so I ran the test on the site provided and it says I'm appear to be fine. however this computer keeps insisting it's not running a genuine copy of windows.... It is running the same windows 7 professional 32 bit it was when she got it from dell. I know it had this issue awhile ago but I was able to get it to activate... I believe after running a virus scan or something.... been awhile so don't remember exactly... unfortunately i'm also not the only person she has look at this computer when she has a problem... unfortunate because then I don't know what's been done. Also this computer had been running a paid version of AVG but the real time protector and the updater both got shut off and so she installed some version of norton... same thing happened to that shortly afterwards.... It is now running Clamwin Av and has been successfully for awhile... at least it isn't claiming to be shut off....any ideas or thoughts are appreaciated... unfortunately... I usually am only here on saturday so this could be a drawn out process ... thanks again for any help/ideas

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users