Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

XP fails to load

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 dennisrmd01

dennisrmd01

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:15 PM

Posted 26 April 2012 - 10:38 AM

PC will not boot
get to start up screen but will not go further
did get it to boot in Safe mode (but can't remember how to do it again)

Look at some of the help files etc...

Tried Recovery Console... Chkdsk /r and fixboot
NB fixmbr - generated a warning about the boot arrangements so chicken out :)

Would welcome a little hand holding as at the limit of my knowledge!

Thank you for your time.

Den

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,561 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:15 PM

Posted 26 April 2012 - 11:14 AM

System manufacturer and model?

Any onscreen error messages leading up to inability to boot?

How to start Windows in Safe Mode - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/tutorial61.html#force_safemode

Louis

#3 dennisrmd01

dennisrmd01
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2012 - 02:57 AM

Louis

Fujitsu Siemens Lifebook S, XP SP3

No noticable problem before this started and no error messages... fails at the time things normally start appearing in the bottom bar (system tray?)
Screen looks normal (windows back drop and sometimes the desktop) but nothing loads into the tray (sometimes the clock) and egg timer when cursor is in the tray area - regular sequence of disk activity like it is hunting for something?

Only thing that was done to PC - a few days before - was removal (uninstall from control panel) of auto HP printer update because it appeared to slow the load down and is no longer need. PC has been very slow(minutes) to load for a while (slow at roughly the same point) for some time - lots of disk activity but no real progress.

Boots in safe mode including networking and command prompt options.
Device manager - no obvious issues or problems.

Hope this helps.

Thank You

Den

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,561 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2012 - 08:25 AM

Well...if you get to the desktop, Windows is booting...but not loading properly, IMO.

I would try running the chkdsk /r command from the Recovery Console (again), followed by defragging the Windows partition.

Louis

#5 dennisrmd01

dennisrmd01
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2012 - 10:21 AM

Louis

Did Chkdsk / r again and it finally completed... but should it be a logical sequence?...
Displayed:
Chkdsk is checking volume
Chkdsk is performing additional checking or recovery...

then went to 75% (slow in places) and then back to 50% and was very, very slow 50 - 62%... then back round to 50%???

Sorry, but not sure what is normal or important for your analysis?

Repeated it (both were the same)to make sure and then defragged as suggested.

Tried normal boot but it stalled with windows background but no desktop this time.

Den

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,561 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2012 - 11:54 AM

The sequence reflected is perfectly normal, IME.

Chkdsk /r tries to overcome a problem and it seems to backtrack and try again until it's satisfied that the problem has been overcome. So I don't pay any attention to percentage completed until it's 100.

I would run the appropriate hard drive diagnostic, at this time. Such should be available for download at the websites of the respective hard drive manufacturers. Long test, not short.

Free Hard Drive Testing Tools - Hard Drive Diagnostics - http://pcsupport.about.com/od/toolsofthetrade/tp/tophddiag.htm

Louis

#7 dennisrmd01

dennisrmd01
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 28 April 2012 - 09:05 AM

Louis

Fujitsu drive tool failed to run - list of options including - no power cable, faulty drive etc?
Not sure why it could not see the drive as it's a Fujitsu drive and it appears to be working fine.

So while checking tried the disk tool in Device manager ticking fix options - it took around an hour to run.

Boot went further but still failed... at exactly the point the automatic HP Update check (1st mail) would load into tray?? Tried System Restore to the date when I removed it and boot worked fine.

Good news, but any suggestions what is going on here and why it can't be removed (using it's uninstall) without crashing the boot? I would like to get rid of it if possible in an attempt to speed up the boot process as no HP printer now and PC is slow enough with Advast etc doing similar checks.

Thank you for getting me this far.

Den

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,561 posts
  •  

Posted 28 April 2012 - 09:50 AM

I don't know much about printer software...but it can become corrupted/damaged just like any other file. When that happens, the file cannot function properly and may present problems.

Printer software, in such cases, can be removed totally...then reinstalled, if desired.

To remove it, all software installed via the HP printer disk...must be uninstalled. If this cannot be done via Add/Remove Programs, I normally try a tool such as Revo Uninstaller. Another alternative to attempt to uninstall from safe mode.

Revo Uninstaller Canned - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic397185.html/page__pid__2246595#entry2246595

Revo Uninstaller - http://www.revouninstaller.com/

When I have printer problems...I also temporarily disconnect the printer via the USB cable. When I reinstall it, I reconnect, following the instructions provided by the printer manufacturer for doing so.

Louis

#9 dennisrmd01

dennisrmd01
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2012 - 05:05 AM

louis

That is a very useful little tool... appears to have sorted out the HP software update and also enabled me to look at what is auto running so I can kill some (old virus checker?? etc) and disable some of the others that are not used all of the time like the 3 Mobile Internet USB dongle...

So XP loading :) and loading about as fast as it is ever going to!

I will not take up anymore of your time.

Thank you once again.

Den

#10 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,561 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2012 - 08:24 AM

Glad you solved it, Den :).

Happy computing :).

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic