Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cannot right click on task bar

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 ryan_bigl

ryan_bigl

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:58 PM

Posted 26 April 2012 - 08:55 AM

I am unable to right click on the Start Menu orb, the Quick Launch Bar, or the area where my applications are. I can left click to open/minimize/maximize just fine. I can also left click and right click any item in the lower right tray except for the clock. I can resize the separators as well. The only issue is no response to right clicking.

The issue started after I tried out a freeware program called WinPlusX. It is not a malicious program, as it was featured on addictivetips.com and Lifehacker.com and I have not seen any other users complain about it. This is the creator's page:

http://abhishekbest432.deviantart.com/art/WinPlusX-4-0-294790859

I have asked for help and described my issue in the comments, but I'm pretty sure the prick hid my comment to protect his program from criticism (there are two hidden comments at the bottom and I can't find mine). I also asked for help on the Lifehacker and addictivetips page but no dice. Here's what I put:

"I tried this software, but wasn't a fan because the regular right click menu would popup in front of the new menu this program provides. But ever since I stopped using it, I can't right click anywhere on my program bar!

I am now unable to right click on open windows to close/minimize/maximize them, cascade Windows, or quickly bring up the task manager in this fashion. I also can't right click on the start menu. I am however able to click on programs in the lower right system tray.

Has anyone else experienced this? Is there a solution to this issue? I've tried System Restore to no avail. I'm guessing there's a fix in the Registry or something?"

It won't right click in safe mode either, system restore doesn't help, and my last backup was about two weeks ago, so I'd like to find a more efficient fix. I could've sworn there was an option to disable right clicking on your task bar programs, but I have no idea how to get to it if it has been disabled. Any suggestions?

I'm using Windows Vista SP2, 32-bit.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 InadequateInfirmity

InadequateInfirmity

I Gots Me A Certified Edumication

• Banned
  • 5,180 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:58 PM

Posted 26 April 2012 - 11:29 PM

Please download the windows all in one repair tool.
http://majorgeeks.com/downloadget.php?id=7141&file=15&evp=18a37c9c3804bd022748a38eb328614e
. Make sure and back up your registry also create a restore point.This is standard for any registry adjustments.Go To step 4 and back your system up .Then go to Start Repairs Custom Mode. Then Uncheck the following boxes.

Repair Cd/dvd Not working

Make sure that restart/shutdown system is ticked. Then Start the repairs.

Make sure when you run this tool that it is the only thing that you run close everything including your browser for best chance of this program doing its job.

#3 Artrooks

Artrooks

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2012 - 09:36 AM

Hi,

If after following InadequateInfirmity's instructions you still can't access "right click" menu, look at this link: http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/enable-or-disable-right-click-context-menus-in-windows-explorer/.

Regards,
Brooks

#4 ryan_bigl

ryan_bigl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2012 - 08:53 PM

Hello, thank you both for your responses but neither methods have worked for me. Do you have any other suggestions? I appreciate the help.

#5 ryan_bigl

ryan_bigl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2012 - 06:44 AM

Actually never mind, I'd like to thank everyone for the help, but I managed to fix the issue using a freeware called Secure Folders. Even though it is an encryption software, it had a couple other features, such as Fix Windows Issues. When I ran that, it recognized my System Tray Right Click Menu was disabled and fixed it for me.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,873 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:58 PM

Posted 10 May 2012 - 02:39 PM

That's not freeware, according to the terms of use:

"Subin Ninan, Inc. products are distributed on "try before you buy" principle and software purchases are final and non-refundable. Please be sure you have successfully tested the evaluation version for your product before purchasing."

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users