Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Internet Explorer not functioning properly

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 viursdownloadersmum

viursdownloadersmum

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:40 AM

Posted 26 April 2012 - 07:18 AM

We had a virus which knocked out the Mcafee antivirus. We detected it by downloading Microsoft Security Essentials which picked up the following:

TrojanDownloader:Java/OpenStream.BF (Removed)
TrojanDownloader:Java/OpenStream.BK (Removed)
Exploit:Java/CVE-2012-0507.D!ldr (Quarantined)
Program:Win32/PowerRegScheduler (Quarantined)

Since then IE has not been working properly. For instance we can't see anything on YouTube - The screen is black and there are no buttons visible. Gmail will only load in basic HTML format. Also there are bits missing from the websites or not working. From research so far I think these are the Java applets. For example I could not sign up to this forum on the infected computer, because items such as the Are you human? characters were not visible.

I've tried reloading Java several times and reloading Internet Explorer. I've been into Tools, Internet Options, Advanced and done Reset. I downloaded CombiFix which came up with a 7 page report and stopped virtually everything working, which I cured by doing a System Restore to a few days back.

(This is an HP Pavilion g series machine using Windows 7.)

Please help.

(Any advice on educating teenage boys on how to avoid downloading viruses also appreciated!)

Edited by Andrew, 26 April 2012 - 11:33 AM.
Mod Edit: Moved from internet apps to AII - AA

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:40 PM

Posted 26 April 2012 - 10:52 AM

Have you tried a different browser? Also you shouldn't be using Combofix without supervision. I think you may still be infected and you should post at Am I Infected and find out for sure.

#3 viursdownloadersmum

viursdownloadersmum
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:40 AM

Posted 27 April 2012 - 02:58 AM

We seem to have solved it by restoring the computer to the manufacturer's defaults. (We couldn't download a different browser, because the download buttons on most websites wouldn't work.)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users