Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

windows not starting up

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 bobbies

bobbies

• Members
  • 162 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:11 AM

Posted 26 April 2012 - 06:08 AM

I have a Packard Bell laptop, and every now and then it says windows is starting up but i can leave it several minutes and it still hasen't started up.
So i shut it down and start again, and start it in safe mode, if that's the correct thing to do. Usualy on the second attempt it start o/k, but i was wondering why it won't start up straight away. It dosen't do it every time, but it's annoying just the same. My laptop is maybe six or seven years old now and wondered if it's had it's day. Thanks

Edited by hamluis, 26 April 2012 - 06:49 AM.
Moved from XP to Internal Hardware - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Artrooks

Artrooks

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:11 PM

Posted 26 April 2012 - 09:41 AM

Hi,

What is the specific model number of your laptop?

Was there anything new that occurred (hardware, software program, malware detected, error messages) before the startup problem began?

If nothing new and if the laptop starts up reliably in Safe Mode by not into normal Windows, there could be a software glitch; maybe some file corruption. The system is 6-7 years old and it sounds as if you have been resorting to "hard resets" to start the computer.

• Now would be an good time to backup any important files that are on the laptop (docs, music, video, etc.) if you haven't already.
  • I would then go to Device Manager and determine the computer's hard drive manufacturer, then download, burn to CD, and run the DOS hard drive diagnostics for that drive (both short and extended tests) to make sure that the drive isn't failing: http://pcsupport.about.com/od/toolsofthetrade/tp/tophddiag.htm.
  • If both tests pass, then run chkdsk /r from a command prompt; to check and fix any file system/disk sector problems. Reboot the computer to start check disk.
  • If the startup problem persists, you could perform a "clean boot" as described here: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310353 to rule out a potential software conflict.

If you need more specifics on any of the above, they can be provided.

Regards,
Brooks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users