Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How do I find out if my laptop can take advantage of SATA 2 hard drives?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 solaris32

solaris32

• Members
  • 372 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:47 AM

Posted 26 April 2012 - 01:34 AM

I've got an older laptop made in late '06. The hard drive I have is SATA 1. I just bought a new one based off of Dell's site. Dell's site said the SATA 2 drives it had were compatible with my laptop and I got one of them. However, my friend says that although my laptop can use the hard drive, it probably won't be able to take advantage of the faster speed of the SATA 2. So the question is, how do I go about learning this of my laptop?

This is the current hard drive I have:
http://www.esaitech.com/commerce/ccp50363-hitachi-travelstar-5k160-120gb-5400-rpm-8mb-cache-hts541612j9sa00--5646.htm?gclid=CIKOmJfu0a8CFQfPKgodzBurFA

This is the one I just bought:
http://www.amazon.com/Western-Digital-Scorpio-Black-Notebook/dp/B001CO3EKQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1335421762&sr=8-1

This is my laptop here and these are the hard drives Dell says are compatible with it including the one I bought:
http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/category.aspx?c=us&category_id=6990&cs=ussoho1&l=en&s=soho&mfgpid=167675&chassisid=8448

So how do I find out if my laptop can indeed take advantage of this SATA 2 drive?
When I'm asking for help, please explain, in detail, every step. Thank you :).
I have nightmares about computer glitches and bugs.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:47 PM

Posted 26 April 2012 - 04:52 PM

The reason for switching to the new drive would be mostly more space, not more speed.

It should in theory be slightly faster since it is a 7200RPM drive and has more cache than the old 5200Rpm drive.

Cheers
Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#3 solaris32

solaris32
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 372 posts
  •  

Posted 26 April 2012 - 11:21 PM

My friend says I should've saved a little money and gotten a SATA 1 drive, because he claims my computer can't take advantage of the faster speed of SATA 2 drives. Is this in actuality not an issue? How does it work?

#4 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:47 PM

Posted 27 April 2012 - 10:37 AM

Whether or not it can take advantage of a SATA II drive I would expect any SATA I drives to be old.

Plus sooner or later you may use that drive elsewhere and the extra speed of SATA II could be a benefit then.

I'll put it this way, I'm frugal but when I buy drives I buy SATA III, or USB3 for externals now. For future speed benefits as I upgrade my equipment.

How much could you have saved? I'll bet not much unless You bought used.

Enjoy
Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#5 solaris32

solaris32
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 372 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2012 - 10:43 AM

I'm pretty sure you don't save much, yea. I'll just have to hope he's wrong because faster write speeds and such would be nice.

#6 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:47 AM

Posted 27 April 2012 - 10:51 AM

There would probably be a very small slight read and write speed increase.

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

#7 solaris32

solaris32
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 372 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2012 - 10:53 AM

There would probably be a very small slight read and write speed increase.

Coupled with the fact my current hard drive feels like it's starting to crap out :P.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users