Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Buying an External CD-Drive

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Anonix

Anonix

• Members
  • 188 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:35 PM

Posted 26 April 2012 - 12:10 AM

Need an external CD drive to reformat a hard drive. There are lots on eBay and they are very inexpensive. Most say USB 2.0 and compatible with USB 1.1. I don't know what the extra "1" in 1.1 means. The computer that needs reformatting is a Sony Vaio laptop that was purchased in 2006. It has Windows XP, Security Pack 3 installed. Will one of these external CD drives that are USB 1.1 compatible work?

I ask, because recently, I purchased a USB flash drive that was USB 2.0 and it did NOT work when I plugged it in. I had to check with someone, who told me to right click on the flash and reformat it to work with FAT32, which I did. That was easy. I don't know if I would run into the same problem using an external CD drive plugged in via USB.

Thank you for any suggestions/advice.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:35 PM

Posted 26 April 2012 - 05:35 PM

USB 1.1 is a slower USB than USB2.0, Having said that they should all work within Windows XP.

However the Gotcha that may come into play is whether or not your Sony supports booting off of a USB CD drive.

It has to support booting off of a USB drive to be able to install XP on the laptop.

You can try going into the BIOS and see if it has boot settings to allow booting off of a USB CD. Or

Maybe a little more detail on the laptop? Make = Sony, Model = ?? It should be either on the bezel around the screen or above the keyboard.

Thanks
Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#3 Anonix

Anonix
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 188 posts
  •  

Posted 26 April 2012 - 11:52 PM

Great. Thanks. Its' a Sony Vaio VGN-FE790P. I don't know how to access the BIOS given the current non-working condition of the computer, but maybe that is possible. I can find it in a Google search, if so. I think I read that you can set a BIOS to boot from a CD drive? I am not sure. And even if that is true, I don't know if you can set it to boot from a USB CD Drive.

I found the user manual for the computer here, but I cannot open it (am on a very old computer with outdated browsers and software...get an error message).

http://esupport.sony.com/US/perl/model-home.pl?mdl=VGNFE790P&template_id=1&region_id=1&tab=howto#/howtoTab

USB 1.1 is a slower USB than USB2.0, Having said that they should all work within Windows XP.

However the Gotcha that may come into play is whether or not your Sony supports booting off of a USB CD drive.

It has to support booting off of a USB drive to be able to install XP on the laptop.

You can try going into the BIOS and see if it has boot settings to allow booting off of a USB CD. Or

Maybe a little more detail on the laptop? Make = Sony, Model = ?? It should be either on the bezel around the screen or above the keyboard.

Thanks
Roger

#4 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:35 PM

Posted 27 April 2012 - 10:49 AM

From that Sony manual turn on the computer
When the Sony Logo appears press F2

Then look for boot options.

Luck

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#5 Anonix

Anonix
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 188 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2012 - 11:47 AM

From that Sony manual turn on the computer
When the Sony Logo appears press F2