Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How to Protect Windows ME?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Anonix

Anonix

• Members
  • 188 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:47 AM

Posted 25 April 2012 - 11:50 PM

What antivirus are people using on Windows ME? My regular computer (with Windows XP) will not boot, so I am stuck using this older computer (with Windows ME) for now. I no longer have the Windows XP upgrade disk, or I would try to upgrade the OS, so I could get the latest browsers, etc. The Firefox version that works with ME is 2.0.0.20, and the latest version of IE that will work with ME is IE6!

What do I need to do to secure ME for use on the 'net?

I did find an earlier version of AVAST that works with ME, but it will take 2 hours to download at dial-up speed. I have DSL but cannot use a DSL connection from this computer (the port won't accept the ethernet cable, only a telephone wire for dial-up). Is it worth it to spend 2 hours downloading an old version of AVAST that was released in 2009?

If anyone has any suggestions for what I need to do to secure ME or how to find compatible anti-virus, please let me know. I am going round and round in circles on these searches for anti-virus. I think the answer is 'there is no current anti-virus for Windows ME'. Am I right?

Thanks.

Edited by hamluis, 26 April 2012 - 06:26 AM.
Moved from Win 9x to AV, Firewall, etc. - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Blade

Blade

Strong in the Bleepforce

• Site Admin
  • 12,735 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:47 PM

Posted 26 April 2012 - 02:06 PM

Is it worth it to spend 2 hours downloading an old version of AVAST that was released in 2009?

YES!

If you're stuck using IE6 you need as much protection as you can get.

I'd also look into seeing if you can obtain an alternative browser

Check out this link. http://www.netsquirrel.com/articles/securing_win9x.html

Although I'd go with Avast! over AVG for a free AV.

animinionsmalltext.gif
If I am helping you, it has been 48 hours since your last post, and I have yet to reply to your topic, please send me a PM
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook
Follow us on Twitter!

#3 Didier Stevens

Didier Stevens

• BC Advisor
  • 2,734 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:47 PM

Posted 26 April 2012 - 02:58 PM

I think the answer is 'there is no current anti-virus for Windows ME'. Am I right?

I think that is very likely, given the fact that Microsoft stopped support for Windows ME in 2006.

And before you download that old version of AVAST, I would check if it is still supported, e.g. that new signature files are released for it.

Edited by Didier Stevens, 26 April 2012 - 03:02 PM.

Didier Stevens
http://blog.DidierStevens.com
http://DidierStevensLabs.com

SANS ISC Senior Handler
Microsoft MVP 2011-2016 Consumer Security, Windows Insider MVP 2016-2019
MVP_Horizontal_BlueOnly.png

If you send me messages, per Bleeping Computer's Forum policy, I will not engage in a conversation, but try to answer your question in the relevant forum post. If you don't want this, don't send me messages.

Stevens' law: "As an online security discussion grows longer, the probability of a reference to BadUSB approaches 1.0"

#4 Anonix

Anonix
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 188 posts
  •  

Posted 26 April 2012 - 09:58 PM

Thanks to you both. Small world, but I found that netsquirrel site too, and used some info there.

There are no words to describe the glacial pace of the dial-up surfing experience. Today, I saw what appeared to be a network adapter when looking at some files/info on this computer, and (long story short) I am now on DSL. The reason this is important is that the 'net traffic is now moving through the DSL router, and that thing has a firewall. Unless I am mistaken, that is a huge improvement (security wise) from being connected directly to the 'net via a telephone line! There was some question whether DSL would even work with the older browsers that I have to use with ME, but it does. So the surfing experience is still awful, just less awful. I did not know that I could connect to the internet through that DSL modem via a USB cable (which I fortunately had not thrown away...kept it with all the other DSL installation kit stuff -- all ten years old and still worked!). As I said, the ethernet cable would not plug in (wouldn't fit) to this old computer, but the USB cable worked just fine. It was worth all the time it took to do this because at least this computer is now behind a firewall.

Unless I need different settings, I am also turning off java script and java while surfing, and keeping the security levels set to 'high'. That should help some.

I will see what I can find out about signatures and the older version of AVAST...@Didier..so are you saying that it's not worth it unless new signatures files are released? I will see if there is a way to contact AVAST about that directly. Thanks.

#5 Anonix

Anonix
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 188 posts
  •  

Posted 26 April 2012 - 10:47 PM

OK, I just read that Windows ME did not come with a firewall, which means that, while I now have a firewall in the DSL router, I still don't have a firewall on this computer/my home network. How critical is it that I add a firewall on this computer? I was reading up on a support website, and the way they explained it, if another infected computer hooks up to your 'home network', then without a firewall on your computer, your computer could pick up that infection. The DSL protects me from other computers on the Internet, but not from computers on my 'home network'.

I guess without understanding the term 'home network', I can't gauge the risk. I only have one functioning computer that is hooked up to the 'net right now. So how is that a network?

I do remember when I use to connected wirelessly (on the other computer, the one that now won't reboot), that I could see the signal strength of neighbors who were connected to the Internet if I looked in 'network connections'. Isn't that a LAN though? Not a home network? That computer btw has Windows XP as its OS, so it has a built-in firewall.

Wouldn't 'home network' refer to just the computers you have hooked up in your own home? If so, I don't see why I would need to add a firewall on this computer. Because I don't let people come in and hook up computers (infected or otherwise) or use my Internet connection. Please correct me if I am wrong.

#6 Didier Stevens

Didier Stevens

• BC Advisor
  • 2,734 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:47 PM

Posted 27 April 2012 - 10:58 AM

@Didier..so are you saying that it's not worth it unless new signatures files are released?

It is still worth to do.
But if there are no updates, you should be aware that it will only protect you against older malware, and it won't detect new malware. But on the other hand, I wonder if new malware is still designed to infect Windows ME.

Didier Stevens
http://blog.DidierStevens.com
http://DidierStevensLabs.com

SANS ISC Senior Handler
Microsoft MVP 2011-2016 Consumer Security, Windows Insider MVP 2016-2019
MVP_Horizontal_BlueOnly.png

If you send me messages, per Bleeping Computer's Forum policy, I will not engage in a conversation, but try to answer your question in the relevant forum post. If you don't want this, don't send me messages.

Stevens' law: "As an online security discussion grows longer, the probability of a reference to BadUSB approaches 1.0"

#7 Anonix

Anonix
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 188 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2012 - 11:46 AM

@Didier..so are you saying that it's not worth it unless new signatures files are released?

It is still worth to do.
But if there are no updates, you should be aware that it will only protect you against older malware, and it won't detect new malware. But on the other hand, I wonder if new malware is still designed to infect Windows ME.

OK, got it. Probably will download a tad faster since I am now on DSL. Tx.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users