Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Safely opening attachments

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Myi

Myi

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:25 PM

Posted 25 April 2012 - 06:44 PM

Hello!

I am starting a show on Youtube, and I anticipate receiving image files from unfamiliar users on a regular basis, beginning very soon.

I've created a couple Gmail (via Chrome) accounts for these users to reach me through, and will likely request that files be sent to this source.

I am familiar with image file formats, and so will be able to filter these. But I am curious what else, if anything, I can do to secure myself from potentially malice file attachments.

Using Windows 7 Home Prem 64 SP1, MSE, WinPatrol, Malwarebyes, SuperAntiSpyware, Emsisoft Anti-Malware, Secunia and KeePass.

For example, is there a place on my system where I could download these image files to that is inherently quarantined? Or perhaps could create such a location?

This, I suspect, could allow me to safely scan the files prior to actually opening them.

Just a thought. Any others would be appreciated! And yes, I'm aware Gmail already scans attachments, it's just difficult for me to determine the level of protection this grants me.

Thank you!

P.S. Any other means of transferring files safely (potentially larger files, also) for free or at a reasonable price could be useful information, if you believe my current design is insecure.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,530 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2012 - 07:47 PM

Have you looked at Sandboxie
Sandboxie runs your programs in an isolated space which prevents them from making permanent changes to other programs and data in your computer.

Frequently Asked Questions
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 Myi

Myi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 26 April 2012 - 07:00 PM

Awesome thank you.

I'm not certain I'll be using this program, as I'm reading it is a challenge with Chrome and Firefox, and I need quick access to modifying the images, but I'll continue to look into it and quite possibly give it a shot.

Thank you for the response!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users