Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need Help Upgrading to Windows XP from ??

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Anonix

Anonix

• Members
  • 188 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:59 AM

Posted 25 April 2012 - 04:39 PM

My computer no longer reboots, so for now, I am using an old laptop that I was able to get connected to the Internet thru dialup (it's so old the port won't take an ethernet cable, only a telephone wire, so dial-up it is). The pages load incredibly slowly. Anyhow, the IE version and ALL software on this thing is about 10 years old. I want to get the OS and all software brought up to date so it will be safer to use while I am troubleshooting the reboot failure on my other computer.

I THOUGHT this had a Windows ME OS, and I want to upgrade to Windows XP. I can't download Firefox and Chrome browsers on this OS (already tried) as they are not compatible. When I went to Microsoft to try to download an upgrade of Windows XP for Windows ME, Microsoft said it didn't recognize Windows ME as my OS and tried to redirect me to a Windows 98 area for the upgrade.

Can anyone tell from the above posted system info whether I have Windows ME or Windows 98? I need to make sure I am downloading the 'right' upgrade.

I realize Windows XP is only supported for another year, but this computer meets the minimum upgrade requirements for XP (I checked) but probably doesn't for an upgrade to Windows 7.

Here's what a system check tells me I have:
OS Name: Microsoft Windows (note it does not say ME, but the owner's manual says Windows ME.

(I know this computer came loaded with ME, but it's possible I went back to where I bought it and they gave me an upgrade to another Windows version. I seem to remember going back to them about that, but just am not clear.)

OS Name: Microsoft Windows
Version: 4.90.3000 Build 3000
OS Manufacturer: Microsoft
System Name: Vaio
System Manufacturer: Sony
System Type: X86-based PC
Processor: AMD Duron ™ Processor, Authentic AMD ~800 MHZ
BIOS Version: EPP revision 9.00
etc.

Can anyone tell what the OS is for sure based on this info? Do not want to do any upgrad until I know for sure. Thank you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Dalewyn

Dalewyn

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:59 AM

Posted 25 April 2012 - 05:13 PM

The OS version and build number suggests Windows ME, as per Wikipedia's article on Windows ME.

#3 Keithuk

Keithuk

• Members
  • 960 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:59 PM

Posted 27 April 2012 - 07:01 AM

You can't download any free upgrades for Windows ME to Windows XP.

Keith

Windows ME (spare computer)
Windows XP 2002 Professional SP3 (desktop computer)
Windows 7 Professional SP1 32bit (laptop computer)

Windows 8 64bit spare drive for laptop computer

#4 alcujas

alcujas

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:59 PM

Posted 30 April 2012 - 03:32 PM

That's truly a tough one because you should technically purchase an upgrade version or a full XP version to do it right. Can probably buy it online. It would be tough for me to buy an old version of XP to put on a computer that is showing it's age as you describe.

#5 cfo

cfo

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:59 AM

Posted 18 May 2012 - 05:44 PM

I would recommend downloading the ISO image and burn a disk of Lubuntu or Xubuntu. They are versions of Ubuntu for older or underpowered computers. It is a much better option than trying to get Windows XP to run, as they are modern OSes that would extend the life of your older computer. To get wireless connection, simply buy a USB wireless dongle and plug it in, and you'll be able to connect to your wireless network.

Did I mention these OSes are free and include free software of all sorts?

#6 Jonathan James

Jonathan James

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:59 AM

Posted 29 November 2012 - 01:57 AM

Its better to get a new OS installed in your PC.You can use Windows XP professional or Windows 7.You just need to visit P2P sites like torrentz.eu .You will obtain an ISO image of the XP or Win 7.Download it by using Utorrent or Bitorrent software.Burn the ISO image in a blank CD or DVD and you will obtain a bootable disk.

#7 Keithuk

Keithuk

• Members
  • 960 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:59 PM

Posted 29 November 2012 - 08:51 AM

The thing is if the system has been running Win98/ME then its an old computer. If you look at the Windows XP system spec its BS as they were trying to sell this OS. The biggest problem with WinXP is having enough RAM not 64MB as stated.

Edited by bloopie, 29 November 2012 - 11:53 AM.
Removed line to deleted post. ~bloopie

Keith

Windows ME (spare computer)
Windows XP 2002 Professional SP3 (desktop computer)
Windows 7 Professional SP1 32bit (laptop computer)

Windows 8 64bit spare drive for laptop computer

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,560 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:59 AM

Posted 29 November 2012 - 11:57 AM

Its better to get a new OS installed in your PC.You can use Windows XP professional or Windows 7.You just need to visit P2P sites like torrentz.eu .You will obtain an ISO image of the XP or Win 7.Download it by using Utorrent or Bitorrent software.Burn the ISO image in a blank CD or DVD and you will obtain a bootable disk.

Good morning :).

I recognize that you are a new member...and I strongly suggest that you read/comprehend the basic forum rules before responding to any other topics or creating new topics. A link to those rules are in my signature.

"No subject matter will be allowed whose purpose is to defeat existing copyright or security measures. If a user persists and/or the activity is obviously illegal the staff reserves the right to remove such content and/or ban the user. This would also mean encouraging the use or continued use of pirated software is not permitted, and subject to the same consequences."

Being aware of and complying with the basic forum rules...will go a long way with keeping your status as a member in good standing :).

Thanks for understanding.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 02 December 2012 - 05:14 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users