Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New Laptop: Which of these is best?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Telekill

Telekill

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:16 PM

Posted 25 April 2012 - 03:36 PM

Hi-
I found this forum incredibly useful back when I was fifteen and trying to get malware off my laptop. But now said laptop is falling apart, so I'm looking for a new one. The two I'm choosing between at the moment are this one and this one. Both are lenovo and seem to have good specs for their price range. I was also looking at this one, but a lot of users seemed to be having trouble with heat in the extreme.

Which laptop should I get? Other recommendations are also more than welcome.
My computing needs:

Budget: Under $1,000
Storage needs: Definitely low. Right now I'm using under 60 GB of my machine's 93 GB disc space.
Gaming Specs: Gaming will be this laptop's primary purpose. I need something that can run games with moderate graphical requirements. Some games I play include The Sims 3, Bioshock, Mass Effect 2, World of Warcraft, and Half-Life 2, to give you an idea of my requirements.
Other Uses: My brother might use it for Skype, I will be using word processing for school, and it will be used for casual web browsing. No Photoshop or graphical design. No music production or video editing. iTunes, probably.

I don't know enough about CPUs to say what kind I need. For graphics, I'm assuming I'll need a card with a decent amount of discreet video memory. I don't know how much RAM I need - at least 4 GBs?

Any advice would be very much appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 wignall6

wignall6

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:16 PM

Posted 25 April 2012 - 05:08 PM

I don't think Laptop is the best for gaming, but if you were to go for one of them laptops I would pick the first one. Laptops don't have very good graphic cards unless you get one dedicated to gaming.

Alienware offer a good range of gaming laptops but they are very dear.

You can have a look at them here: http://www.dell.com/uk/p/alienware-laptops

#3 Telekill

Telekill
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:16 PM

Posted 25 April 2012 - 05:36 PM

Yeah, I know that desktops are what you want for gaming, but I share mine with three other people and it's your typical middle-of-the-road "family computer". If I had a laptop that would run my games, I wouldn't have to worry about finding a time when no one else is using the computer. :/
Alienware is over my budget, I'm afraid, and I've heard terrible things about their customer support besides. I've heard laptops like the ones I'm looking at called "budget gaming laptops". Not as powerful, but less expensive.

#4 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:16 AM

Posted 26 April 2012 - 01:15 AM

I would go for the first one because it has the fastest graphics card and a nice quad core processor. I believe HL2, ME2, Sims 3 should run easily, whereas the WOW is a bit more demanding for the CPU but luckily the quad core i7 should be able to tackle it.

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users